Circuit Analysis and resistance

In summary: So the equivalent resistance for these three resistors is 3 ohms.In summary, the equivalent resistance of the given network of resistors is 3 ohms and the current in the 3.0 Ω resistor is 1.0A.
gnarrr
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7798/circuitanalysis.png

Homework Statement

(a) What is the equivalent resistance of the network of resistors in Figure 6.13?
(b) What current exists in the 3.0 Ω resistor?

R1=2ohms, R2=6ohms, R3=6ohms, R4=6ohms, R5=6ohms, R7=3ohms, V1=6V

Homework Equations

V=IR
1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)The diagonal resistor confused me.

1/Rt1=1/2+1/6
Rt1=1.5ohms

1/Rt2=1/6+1/6+1/6+1/6
Rt2=1.5ohms

Rt=1.5+1.5+3.0=6.0ohms

(b)Tried, but may be wrong way to do it.

V=IR
I=V/R
I=6.0V/6.0ohms
I=1.0A

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gnarrr said:
(a)The diagonal resistor confused me.
In that case, redraw the circuit yourself, so that resistor isn't diagonal. Then look for a pair of resistors that is in series or a pair that is in parallel. (By the way: you didn't write the equation for combining resistors in series, but do you know what it is?)

diazona said:
In that case, redraw the circuit yourself, so that resistor isn't diagonal. Then look for a pair of resistors that is in series or a pair that is in parallel. (By the way: you didn't write the equation for combining resistors in series, but do you know what it is?)

Rt=R1+R2+R3...

gnarrr said:
Rt=R1+R2+R3...
Cool, just checking. You will have to use that.

The two resistors at the top right hand corner are in series and the resultant is in parallel with diagonal resistor.

FAQ: Circuit Analysis and resistance

1. What is circuit analysis and why is it important?

Circuit analysis is the study and evaluation of electrical circuits to determine the behavior of current and voltage. It is important because it allows us to understand how different components in a circuit interact and how they affect the overall performance of the circuit.

2. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

3. How does resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

Resistance can affect the performance of a circuit in various ways. It can limit the amount of current that can flow through a circuit, leading to a decrease in voltage and power. It can also cause heat dissipation and affect the overall efficiency of the circuit.

4. What are the different types of resistors and how do they differ?

There are several types of resistors, including fixed resistors, variable resistors, and thermistors. Fixed resistors have a set value that does not change, while variable resistors allow for the adjustment of resistance. Thermistors have a resistance that changes with temperature.

5. How can we reduce resistance in a circuit?

Resistance can be reduced in a circuit by using conductive materials with low resistivity, such as copper or silver, and by minimizing the length of the circuit. Additionally, increasing the thickness of the wire and reducing the number of components in the circuit can also help to reduce resistance.