CNT Sensors vs Conventional Gas Detectors: Pros & Cons

In summary, CNT sensors have the ability to detect low chemical adsorption energy, which conventional gas detectors may not be able to do. However, there are challenges with producing CNT sensors consistently and at a large scale. Additionally, the cost of CNT sensors is likely to be high since they are still in the proof of concept stage. The cost of conventional gas detectors varies depending on what is being detected and the level of sensitivity, with some models being available for as low as $20 to $30.
leoflc
I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of the CNT sensors and conventional gas detectors?
I know that CNT sensors can detect very low chemical adsorption energy, which a conventional gas detector probably can't.

Besides that, is there any more pros and cons of the two?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Big problem with CNT so far, is producing a consistant product in any meaningful quantity.
CNT production is still very much a black art.

Thanks for the reply!

But how about the cost?
I guess CNT is probably still pretty expensive, but I have no idea how much is the conventional gas detector usually cost. (since I've only seen it on tv..)

Thanks.

AFAIK you can't buy the CNT variety.
It's one of a kind, proof of concept stuff.

How much a conventional detector costs depends on what you're detecting and the sensitivity.
You can get something like a CO detector in the $20 to $30 range.

Related to CNT Sensors vs Conventional Gas Detectors: Pros & Cons

1. What are CNT sensors and how do they differ from conventional gas detectors?

CNT sensors, or carbon nanotube sensors, are a type of gas detection technology that utilizes carbon nanotubes to detect the presence of various gases. These sensors are smaller and more sensitive than conventional gas detectors, allowing for more accurate and efficient detection of gas molecules.

2. What are the advantages of using CNT sensors over conventional gas detectors?

There are several advantages to using CNT sensors. They are able to detect a wider range of gases, are more sensitive, and have a faster response time. Additionally, they are smaller and more portable, making them ideal for use in various settings such as industrial and environmental monitoring.

3. Are there any downsides to using CNT sensors?

While CNT sensors have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks. They can be more expensive than conventional gas detectors and may require specialized training for operation. Additionally, they may not be suitable for detecting extremely low levels of gas concentrations.

4. Can CNT sensors completely replace conventional gas detectors?

No, CNT sensors cannot completely replace conventional gas detectors. While they have many advantages, they also have limitations and may not be suitable for all types of gas detection. It is best to use a combination of both technologies for comprehensive gas detection.

5. What is the future outlook for CNT sensors in gas detection?

CNT sensors are still a relatively new technology, but they have shown great potential for improving gas detection in various industries. With ongoing research and development, it is likely that these sensors will continue to advance and become more widely adopted in the future.