Cohesive energy of covalent crystal

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy per atom in a covalent crystal with a given interatomic spacing. The expressions for the equilibrium spacing and cohesive energy are requested, and the importance of considering the material is mentioned. The proposed solution focuses on finding the equilibrium spacing and calculating the energy difference between bonded and non-bonded states.
helpcometk

Homework Statement

The potential Energy per atom in a covalent crystal with interatomic spacing r may be written φ(r) =2ε [A (σ/r)^12 -B (σ/r)^ 6 ]
Derive expressions for the equilibrium interatomic spacing and the cohesive energy of the crystal.

Homework Equations

Again the problem is that i have a covalent crystal .I think cohesive energy is different for different materials, so i would like to give me only a reference (website if possible ) to look if someone knows.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about the material; it's irrelevant. Given any pair potential φ(r), how do you find the equilibrium spacing? Once you have that, what's the volumetric energy difference between having a bond and not having a bond?

Related to Cohesive energy of covalent crystal

1. What is cohesive energy?

Cohesive energy is the amount of energy required to break apart the bonds between atoms in a crystal and completely separate them from each other.

2. How is cohesive energy calculated?

Cohesive energy is calculated by taking the total energy of a crystal and subtracting the energy of the individual atoms when they are completely separated from each other.

3. What factors can affect the cohesive energy of a covalent crystal?

The cohesive energy of a covalent crystal can be affected by factors such as the distance between atoms, the strength of the bonds between atoms, and the type of atoms involved.

4. Why is cohesive energy important in understanding the properties of covalent crystals?

Cohesive energy is important because it can help predict the stability and strength of a covalent crystal, as well as its melting temperature and other physical properties.

5. Can cohesive energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, cohesive energy can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, which can provide information about the arrangement of atoms in a crystal and the strength of their bonds.