Collector's Item For Space Buffs

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, there is a privately owned space shuttle external fuel tank located in Green Cove Springs, Florida since 2013. It was originally used for testing in the Space Shuttle Program and was later put on display at various locations before being purchased by the Wings of Dreams Aviation Museum in Keystone Heights, Florida. Transporting the tank to the museum proved to be a logistical nightmare due to road conditions and low-hanging cables. There have been suggestions to use it for various purposes, such as attaching it to a sailing boat or fueling it up for a short hop. Additionally, there is a similar story of a man in Maine who acquired a jet engine to build a jet-powered ice boat.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
One place I used to visit every year was Green Cove Springs Florida. Once there, I could hardly ignore this artifact near the river bank.

1617568768818.png

It has been there since 2013. It is privately owned, so presumably it could be for sale. If you don't recognize it, this picture may help.

1617568867356.png

In the circles of space enthusiasts, it would be hard to think of a more prestigious item to have in your collection. To any other space enthusiast with say, a helmet from Apollo 11, the owner of this could certainly say, "Mine is bigger than yours."

@mfb is no doubt PF's most ardent space enthusiast. We could start a gofundme page and buy it for him. @sophiecentaur and I, being ocean sailors could rig it with sail and bring it across the ocean. You can see in this picture how close it is to the water.

1617569204488.png

Just imagine @mfb's delight if it appeared outside his front door one morning. Of course we would arrange to have it delivered standing up, not laying on its side.

Sorry for the delay, I meant to click POST three days ago, but I forgot.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes mfb, Borek, Klystron and 7 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
When I lived in Maine there was a guy on rte 52 coming out of Camden who had what looked like the ass end of an F86 fighter sticking out of his garage. About the tenth time I went past I saw the fellow and I had to stop and inquire. It turns out he was a former mechanic at the Brunswick Naval Air Station and was building...ready for it...a jet powered ice boat!. I remember he was very vague about how he had come to acquire the engine in question so I have my doubts!
Having heard no reported attempts at the ice speed record (this was 25 yrs ago) nor spectacular fatal accidents on Midcoast Lakes I do not know the denouement to the story.
But I'll bet there is a tale already associated with the external tank and its procurement. What is the blue book value on a lightly used space object? Great idea

Likes Klystron and anorlunda
I neglected to include the history of this item.
https://www.abandonedfl.com/space-shuttle-external-fuel-tank/
According to SpaceFlight Insider, the tank is the was the third and final test tank for the Space Shuttle Program and was used for structures/stress testing at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama between 1977 and 1980.

Once it was no longer needed, it was put on display and then later moved to NASA’s Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. In 1997, it was moved again to Kennedy Space Center where it was put on display for the public up until 2013.

After 30 years, the Space Shuttle Program ended in 2011 with the final flight of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. Upon closure of the program, NASA announced it was unloading space relics which included the external fuel tank. The initial winning bidder was located in California and decided that transporting it across the country was too much of a headache to deal with. The second winning bid was from the Wings of Dreams Aviation Museum in Keystone Heights, Florida.

With a group of volunteers who provided a 200-foot barge, two tugboats, and cranes used to transport the tank between land and barge, the external fuel tank was transported from Kennedy Space Center to Green Cove Springs.

It was supposed to only be staged there for a few months where it was to be towed to its new home in Keystone Heights. Moving the tank proved to be a logistical nightmare due to road conditions and low-hanging electrical and telephone cables and wires that run across the streets. According to Bob Oehl, executive director of the museum, two state highways would have to be closed and multiple power lines would have to be taken down.

it was to be put on display outside the museum and eventually, a cover would be put over it to protect it from the elements.

[As of today, it still sits there in Green Cove Springs.]

As for transport, I thought we could buy the defeated American Magic, and attach the foils, rudder, mast and sails to the tank. Maybe we could carry America Magic's hull inside, then reassemble it in Europe to be sold to an Americas Cub collector. That might defer some of the expense.

1617572203874.png

No possible logistical or engineering problems there! Brilliant.
It does sound better thought out than the original plan however.

according to Bob Oehl, executive director of the museum, two state highways would have to be closed and multiple power lines would have to be taken down.

Or, you could simply fuel it up...

• Haha
Likes phinds, hutchphd, Klystron and 1 other person
It doesn't have engines, but a short hop should be possible. It will likely need re-assembly after that.

The one previous test ended badly... great artifact though.

hutchphd said:
When I lived in Maine there was a guy on rte 52 coming out of Camden who had what looked like the ass end of an F86 fighter sticking out of his garage. About the tenth time I went past I saw the fellow and I had to stop and inquire. It turns out he was a former mechanic at the Brunswick Naval Air Station and was building...ready for it...a jet powered ice boat!. I remember he was very vague about how he had come to acquire the engine in question so I have my doubts!
Having heard no reported attempts at the ice speed record (this was 25 yrs ago) nor spectacular fatal accidents on Midcoast Lakes I do not know the denouement to the story.
But I'll bet there is a tale already associated with the external tank and its procurement. What is the blue book value on a lightly used space object? Great idea

Oh, thanks for the memory! I was working in Brunswick in the mid-late 1990s and loved a good lunch at Fat Boy drive in, kind of "behind" the NAS. Had to keep it to less than weekly, or else...

1617654979260.png

mfb said:
It doesn't have engines, but a short hop should be possible. It will likely need re-assembly after that.
So might your house :smile:

Related to Collector's Item For Space Buffs

1. What is a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs"?

A "Collector's Item For Space Buffs" is a rare and valuable item that is highly sought after by individuals who have a strong interest in space and space exploration. These items can range from artifacts or memorabilia from space missions to limited edition collectibles related to space exploration.

2. How can I determine the authenticity of a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs"?

Authenticity can be determined through various methods such as certification from a reputable organization, thorough research and documentation of the item's history, and expert analysis and validation. It is important to be cautious when purchasing these items and to only buy from reputable sources.

3. What makes a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs" valuable?

The value of a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs" is determined by its rarity, historical significance, and demand from collectors. Items that have a limited production or are associated with significant events in space exploration tend to have higher value.

4. Can I purchase a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs" from a reputable seller?

Yes, there are many reputable sellers who specialize in selling "Collector's Item For Space Buffs". These sellers can be found online or at space conventions and auctions. It is important to do thorough research on the seller and the item before making a purchase.

5. How should I care for and preserve a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs"?

Proper care and preservation are crucial in maintaining the value and condition of a "Collector's Item For Space Buffs". It is recommended to store the item in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and to handle it with clean hands or gloves. It is also important to avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaning methods that could damage the item.

Back