Collisions problem completed - is it correct?

• Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two pucks colliding at different angles. The solution involves using equations to find the speed of each puck after the collision, with puck A having a speed of 2.58 m/s and puck B having a speed of 1.94 m/s. The accuracy of the solution is confirmed by the conversation.
Hemingway
Hello - I am pretty sure this is correct but there is no answer for me to check. My friend (who is a lot smarter than me :P ) got a different answer entirely. Is the following answers correct?

Homework Statement

Puck A has a mass of 0.0300 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of +4.20 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.0600 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing. Find the speed of (a) puck A and (b) puck B.

puck a is 65 degrees above x axis
puck b is 37 degrees below the x axis

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.0300) (4.2) + 0 = (0.0300) (VA COS 65) + .0600 (VB COS 37)
0.126 = 0.0127 VA + 0.0479VB

0 = 0.0300 (VA SIN 65) + (0.0600)(-VBSIN 37)
= 0.0272 VA + -0.0361 VB
0.0361VB = 0.0272VA
VB = 0.0272VA/0.0361
VB = 0.753 VA

0.126 = 0.0127 VA + 0.0479VB
0.126 = 0.0127 VA + (0.0479)(0.753)
0.126 = 0.0127 VA + 0.0361 VA
0.126 = 0.0488 VA
VA = 0.126/10.0488
VA = 2.58 m/s

VB = 2.58 m/s x 0.753
= 1.94m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer appears to be correct.

rl.bhat said:
Your answer appears to be correct.

Thank you very much - I appreciate it.

Related to Collisions problem completed - is it correct?

1. How do collisions affect objects?

Collisions affect objects by transferring energy and momentum between them. Depending on the type of collision, the objects may also experience changes in velocity, direction, and shape.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions occur when two objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. In inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is lost as the objects stick together or deform upon impact.

3. How do you calculate the momentum of a colliding object?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision, the initial momentum of two objects should be equal to the final momentum after the collision.

4. What are some real-life examples of collisions?

Some real-life examples of collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, cars colliding in a car crash, and a tennis ball hitting a racket. Collisions also occur on a microscopic level between particles in gases and liquids.

5. How can collisions be used to solve problems?

Collisions can be used to solve problems by applying the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. By analyzing the initial and final states of colliding objects, we can determine the unknown variables and solve for them using equations and calculations.