Combination of field and particle methods for fluid dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the combination of field and particle methods in numerical fluid dynamics using a Voronoi approach. This method has the potential to improve results for turbulent flows, but the speaker is seeking a numerical method to apply it correctly and is open to collaboration. They are an aerospace engineer familiar with fluid dynamics but not an expert in numerical mathematics, and are directed to Math Overflow for further assistance.
scienceguru2
hello,

in numerical fluid dynamics there are field methods like finite-volume, finite-element, etc. and particle methods like Smoothed-Particle-Hydrodynamics – SPH and others. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages depending on the application. Both, in principal completely different approaches can be combined using a Voronoi-Diagram. These Voronoi-Cells which behave like particles fill out the complete regarded space and are moving according to the physical laws (conservation of momentum and energy; see also
http://ivancic.de/cfd2k/WhatIsCFD2k.html). These particles also can interact with each other (exchange of momentum, energy, etc. ==> the Voronoi cells/particles obey the Navier-Stokes Equations). Such a Voronoi approach can combine the advantages of field and particle methods and therefore lead to better results in the numerical fluid dynamics (e.g. for turbulent flows which cannot be predicted accurately up to now).
Unfortunately I do not know any numerical method to apply it for such Voronoi-Particles in order to describe physical flows correctly. Does anybody know such a numerical method or is interested to develop such a method together with me? I am an aerospace engineer very familiar with fluid dynamics, turbulence and their physical and thermodynamic laws but sadly I am not an expert in numerical mathematics which is necessary to derive such a new approach.

thanking you in anticipation

Mathematics news on Phys.org
scienceguru2 said:
hello,

in numerical fluid dynamics there are field methods like finite-volume, finite-element, etc. and particle methods like Smoothed-Particle-Hydrodynamics – SPH and others. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages depending on the application. Both, in principal completely different approaches can be combined using a Voronoi-Diagram. These Voronoi-Cells which behave like particles fill out the complete regarded space and are moving according to the physical laws (conservation of momentum and energy; see also
http://ivancic.de/cfd2k/WhatIsCFD2k.html). These particles also can interact with each other (exchange of momentum, energy, etc. ==> the Voronoi cells/particles obey the Navier-Stokes Equations). Such a Voronoi approach can combine the advantages of field and particle methods and therefore lead to better results in the numerical fluid dynamics (e.g. for turbulent flows which cannot be predicted accurately up to now).
Unfortunately I do not know any numerical method to apply it for such Voronoi-Particles in order to describe physical flows correctly. Does anybody know such a numerical method or is interested to develop such a method together with me? I am an aerospace engineer very familiar with fluid dynamics, turbulence and their physical and thermodynamic laws but sadly I am not an expert in numerical mathematics which is necessary to derive such a new approach.

thanking you in anticipation

This sounds like a research-level mathematics question, and, as such, I would refer you to Math Overflow. It's a site much better suited to your question, I think.

Related to Combination of field and particle methods for fluid dynamics

1. What is the purpose of combining field and particle methods for fluid dynamics?

The purpose of combining field and particle methods for fluid dynamics is to gain a more comprehensive understanding of fluid behavior. Field methods, such as computational fluid dynamics, provide a macroscopic view of fluid flow, while particle methods, such as molecular dynamics, offer a microscopic view. By combining these two approaches, scientists can study both large-scale and small-scale phenomena, leading to a more complete understanding of fluid dynamics.

2. How do field and particle methods complement each other in fluid dynamics research?

Field and particle methods complement each other in fluid dynamics research by providing different perspectives on fluid behavior. Field methods can capture large-scale flow patterns and phenomena, while particle methods can reveal details about the interactions between individual particles. Together, these methods can provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of fluid dynamics.

3. What are some common applications of combining field and particle methods in fluid dynamics?

Combination of field and particle methods has many applications in fluid dynamics, including studying turbulence, multiphase flows, and microfluidic systems. It is also used in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and biomedical engineering to gain insights into complex fluid behaviors and phenomena.

4. What are the advantages of using a combination of field and particle methods over using only one approach?

Using a combination of field and particle methods offers several advantages over using only one approach. It allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of fluid dynamics, as both macroscopic and microscopic aspects of fluid flow are considered. Additionally, combining these methods can lead to more efficient and accurate simulations, as each approach can compensate for the limitations of the other.

5. What are some challenges associated with combining field and particle methods for fluid dynamics?

One of the main challenges of combining field and particle methods for fluid dynamics is the complexity of the simulations. These methods often require significant computational resources and expertise to implement. Additionally, ensuring compatibility between the two approaches and accurately coupling them together can be challenging. However, with advancements in technology and techniques, these challenges are becoming more manageable.