Compactness Theorem: Intersection of Compact Sets

In summary: The complement of a set $A$ is open if and only if $A$ is closed. Since each $K_\alpha$ is compact (and thus closed) in a Hausdorff space $X$, then each $G_\alpha=K_\alpha^c$ is open in $X$, and $\{G_\alpha\}$ is an open cover of $K_1$.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
In the Principles of Mathematical analysis by Rudin we have the following theorem

If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty .

If I understand correctly then this theorem states that if any finite intersection is nonempty then any arbitrarily intersection is also nonempty , right ?. I was trying to understand the proof but it wasn't so clear for me :confused:.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
In the Principles of Mathematical analysis by Rudin we have the following theorem

If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty .

If I understand correctly then this theorem states that if any finite intersection is nonempty then any arbitrarily intersection is also nonempty , right ?. I was trying to understand the proof but it wasn't so clear for me :confused:.
Hello Zaid.

Can you point out where in the book is this theorem given?

I worked out a proof which I think is easy to understand.

We prove a more general result which is:

Let $\mathcal K=\{K_\alpha\}_{\alpha\in J}$ be a family of compact subsets of a Hausdorff space $C$ having the finite intersection property, that is, intersection of any finite subfamily of $\mathcal K$ is non-empty, then $\bigcap_{\alpha\in J} K_\alpha\neq \emptyset$.

Fix $\alpha_0\in J$ and define $C_\beta=K_{\alpha_0}\cap K_\beta$ for all $\beta\in J$. Its easy to show that each $C_\beta$ is a closed subset of $K_{\alpha_0}$ by noting that each $K_\alpha$ is a closed subset of $X$ since compact subsets of Hausdorff spaces are closed. Now clearly $\{C_\beta\}_{\beta\in J}$ has finite intersection property as subspaces of $K_{\alpha_0}$. Since $K_{\alpha_0}$ is compact and each $C_\beta$ is closed in $K_{\alpha_0}$ we know that $\bigcap_{\beta\in J}C_\beta\neq\emptyset$. This leads to the required result.

ZaidAlyafey said:
If \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is a collection of compact subsets of a metric space \(\displaystyle X\) such that the intersection of every finite sub collection of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{K}_{\alpha}\) is nonempty , then \(\displaystyle \cap\, \mathbb{K}_{\alpha} \) is nonempty.

I don't know which are your doubts. Here is the Rudin's proof (I've added some details):

Consider an element $K_1$ of $\{K_{\alpha}\}$. Suppose $\bigcap K_{\alpha}=\emptyset$ and denote $G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$. Then, there in no point in $K_1$ belonging to all $K_{\alpha}$, so $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ is an open cover of $K_1$ (on a metric space every compact set is closed). As $K_1$ is compact there is a finite subcover $\{G_{\alpha_1},\ldots,G_{\alpha_n}\}$ of $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ such that $K_1\subset G_{\alpha_1}\cup\ldots\cup G_{\alpha_n}$. But this implies:
$$K_{1}\cap K_{\alpha_1}\cap\ldots\cap K_{\alpha_n}=\emptyset$$
(contradiction with the hypothesis).

Fernando Revilla said:
I don't know which are your doubts. Here is the Rudin's proof (I've added some details):

Consider an element $K_1$ of $\{K_{\alpha}\}$. Suppose $\bigcap K_{\alpha}=\emptyset$ and denote $G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$. Then, there in no point in $K_1$ belonging to all $K_{\alpha}$, so $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ is an open cover of $K_1$ (on a metric space every compact set is closed). As $K_1$ is compact there is a finite subcover $\{G_{\alpha_1},\ldots,G_{\alpha_n}\}$ of $\{G_{\alpha}\}$ such that $K_1\subset G_{\alpha_1}\cup\ldots\cup G_{\alpha_n}$. But this implies:
$$K_{1}\cap K_{\alpha_1}\cap\ldots\cap K_{\alpha_n}=\emptyset$$
(contradiction with the hypothesis).

I know that the proof is easy but I might find difficulties in the notations , first what does
$G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$ , is this the complement of each compact set ? so since compact sets are closed the complement works as an open cover ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
I know that the proof is easy but I might find difficulties in the notations , first what does
$G_{\alpha}=K_{\alpha}^c$ , is this the complement of each compact set ? so since compact sets are closed the complement works as an open cover ?

Right.

Related to Compactness Theorem: Intersection of Compact Sets

1. What is the definition of compactness?

The compactness theorem states that if a set is compact, then any sequence of elements in the set has a convergent subsequence. In other words, compactness is a property of a set that guarantees the existence of a limit point for any sequence in the set.

2. What does the intersection of compact sets mean?

The intersection of compact sets refers to the set containing all the elements that are common to two or more compact sets. This means that the intersection of two compact sets is also a compact set.

3. Why is the intersection of compact sets important?

The intersection of compact sets is important because it allows us to determine if a given set is compact or not. If the intersection of two sets is compact, then we can conclude that both sets are compact. This property is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis.

4. How is the compactness theorem used in real-world applications?

The compactness theorem has numerous applications in real-world scenarios. For example, in economics, it is used to study consumer preferences and utility functions. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space. In computer science, it is used in algorithm design and optimization problems.

5. Can the compactness theorem be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, the compactness theorem can be applied to infinite sets. In fact, it is often used to prove the existence of limits for infinite sequences. The theorem is applicable to any set that satisfies the definition of compactness, whether it is finite or infinite.