Comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies

In summary, the article discusses the use of ANSYS for medical research. It discusses the various medical applications of ANSYS, such as cardiac modeling and Mitral Valve analysis.
keno.mentor
I am a medical researcher with little physics background but currently completing a study of the physical characteristics of arteries.

I am trying to compare the stress-strain curve from my study with that of other studies. The problems are 1) the dimensions of the arteries in these other studies are slightly different from mine and 2) the methodology is different.
Can the stress-strain curves be compared? Does the calculation of stress (in KPa) and strain (dimensionless) take these differences into account such that these curves are comparable?

To elaborate:
I derived a S-S curve by circumferential stretch of a 1cm segment of 5mm diameter tube.
The comparable study took a 10cm segment of 4mm diameter tube, tied off the one end and subjected it to increasing fluid pressure. Is it reasonable to compare the S-S curves (and Young's moduli) derived from these 2 studies and make a general statement of how these 2 materials differ or are similar?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is precisely why there are ASTM methods for testing materials. Google the ASTM method, and then look at the methodologies for the two cases compared to the ASTM method. If everything seems reasonable, then you can probably be safe to compare data.

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

I haven't been able to find anything that helps me though - ASTM standards is a bit of a rabbit hole and most of the articles need to be paid for.

Unless you can point me to a specific reference or document?

Ideally repeat both experiments and come to a definite conclusion .

Otherwise do a proper stress analysis of both test samples .

Hand calculation would probably give adequate results .

FEA would not be too difficult if you wanted more sophistication .

Thanks Nidum.

To clarify: I am testing an artificial artery, which I am analysing in the way I described above (circumferential stretch). I am trying to compare this data to another group's study, which tested a 'natural' artery with burst pressure testing.

Could you expand on 'FE models'?

http://www.ansys.com/-/media/Ansys/corporate/images/about/magazine/AA-V1-I1-Full-Version.pdf

Related to Comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies

1. How do different methodologies affect stress-strain curves?

Different methodologies can affect stress-strain curves in several ways. The testing conditions, such as temperature and strain rate, can impact the shape and behavior of the curve. Additionally, the type of test being conducted, such as tensile or compression, can also affect the results. Finally, the material being tested and its unique properties can greatly influence the stress-strain curve.

2. Is it possible to compare stress-strain curves from different methodologies?

Yes, it is possible to compare stress-strain curves from different methodologies. However, it is important to consider the factors mentioned in the previous question that can influence the curves. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to accurately compare the curves.

3. What are some challenges in comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies?

One of the main challenges in comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies is the lack of standardized testing procedures. Different labs may use different equipment, testing conditions, and procedures, making it difficult to directly compare the results. Another challenge is the variability in material properties, which can affect the shape and behavior of the curve.

4. Can comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies provide valuable insights?

Yes, comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies can provide valuable insights. By analyzing and understanding the differences in the curves, researchers can gain a deeper understanding of the material's behavior and properties. This can lead to improvements in testing methods and a better understanding of how materials respond to different conditions.

5. What are some potential applications of comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies?

Comparing stress-strain curves from different methodologies can have various applications. It can be useful in the development and testing of new materials, as well as in quality control and failure analysis. It can also aid in the design and optimization of structures and components, as well as in predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions.