Complex Numbers - from Polar to Algebraic

In summary, the algebraic representation of \[rcis(90^{\circ}+\theta )\] is -y+ix and the representation of \[rcis(90^{\circ}-\theta )\] is y+ix. This is because the values for the sine and cosine functions of the angles in these expressions result in the given answers.
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to find the algebraic representation of the following numbers:

\[rcis(90^{\circ}+\theta )\]

and

\[rcis(90^{\circ}-\theta )\]

The answers in the book are:

\[-y+ix\]

and

\[y+ix\]

respectively.

I don't get it...

In the first case, if I take 90 degrees (working with degrees, not radians in this question) plus the angel, I get a point in the second quadrant. Why isn't the answer -x+iy ?

View attachment 6854

Thank you !

Attachments

• complex.JPG
    complex.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle z = r[\cos(90^\circ + \theta) + i\sin(90^\circ + \theta)]\)

$z = r\bigg[\cos(90^\circ)\cos(\theta) - \sin(90^\circ)\sin(\theta) + i[\sin(90^\circ)\cos(\theta) + \cos(90^\circ)\sin(\theta)] \bigg]$

$z = r\bigg[-\sin(\theta) + i \cos(\theta) \bigg]$

$z = -r\sin(\theta) + i\cdot r\cos(\theta) = -y + ix$

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\(\displaystyle z = r[\cos(90^\circ - \theta) + i\sin(90^\circ - \theta)]\)

$z = r\bigg[\cos(90^\circ)\cos(\theta) + \sin(90^\circ)\sin(\theta) + i[\sin(90^\circ)\cos(\theta) - \cos(90^\circ)\sin(\theta)] \bigg]$

$z = r\bigg[\sin(\theta) + i \cos(\theta) \bigg]$

$z = r\sin(\theta) + i\cdot r\cos(\theta) = y + ix$

Or just recall that \(\displaystyle cos(90- x)= sin(x)\) and \(\displaystyle cos(90- x)= sin(x)\) from the basic definitions of "sine" and "cosine" instead of using the more general "sum" identity.

Related to Complex Numbers - from Polar to Algebraic

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is the difference between polar and algebraic form of complex numbers?

Polar form of a complex number is written in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus or absolute value of the complex number and θ is the angle in radians. Algebraic form is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts respectively.

3. How do you convert a complex number from polar to algebraic form?

To convert a complex number from polar to algebraic form, you can use the following formula: a + bi = r(cosθ + isinθ), where a = rcosθ and b = rsinθ. The modulus r can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. How do you add or subtract complex numbers in polar form?

To add or subtract complex numbers in polar form, you can use the formula (r1cosθ1 + r2cosθ2) + i(r1sinθ1 + r2sinθ2) for addition, and (r1cosθ1 - r2cosθ2) + i(r1sinθ1 - r2sinθ2) for subtraction. The resulting complex number will also be in polar form.

5. What is the significance of complex numbers in science and mathematics?

Complex numbers have many applications in science and mathematics, including solving certain types of equations, describing the behavior of electrical circuits, and representing physical quantities such as velocity and force in polar coordinates. They are also used in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and fluid dynamics.