Compute Frenet apparatus (differential geometry)

In summary, we can find the Frenet apparatus for the curve \alpha(t) = (at, bt^2, ct^3) by first finding the tangent vector T(t), then using it to calculate the curvature \kappa(t), and finally using \kappa(t) to find the normal vector N(t) and the binormal vector B(t). From there, we can use these vectors to further analyze the behavior of the curve.
cantgetright

Homework Statement

Find the Frenet apparatus for the curve [tex]\alpha (t) = (at, bt^2, ct^3)[/tex], where [tex] abc \neq 0[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Frenet equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of the curve is the expression for the tangent vector. The second derivative (the first derivative of the tangent) yield the curvature and normal vector:

[tex] \alpha ' (t) = T(t) = (a, 2bt, 3ct^2) [/tex]

[tex] T'(t)=(0, 2b, 6ct) = \kappa (t)N(t)[/tex].

And here's where I got stuck. I don't know how to separate kappa from the calculated expression for T'. I'm studying for an exam tomorrow and this was on the review sheet, but from day one we've only had curves where we assumed unit speed parametrization. Given the problem statement, this is not an assumption I can make here. But to draw kappa out of the expression for T', I have to know that the normal vector N is of unit length. So was I supposed to reparameterize this from the outset? And if so, I am again at a loss as this was not a practice in our course thus far. I mean, I know that arclength is given by [tex] \int _a ^b \Vert \alpha ' (t) \Vert dt [/tex] but that's as far as I get with that approach.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The Frenet apparatus for a curve is a set of equations that describe the behavior of the curve in terms of its tangent, normal, and binormal vectors. In this case, we can use the Frenet equations to find the tangent and normal vectors, and then use them to calculate the curvature.

First, let's find the tangent vector T(t):

T(t) = \alpha '(t) = (a, 2bt, 3ct^2)

Next, we can find the curvature \kappa(t) by taking the magnitude of the second derivative of the curve:

\kappa(t) = \Vert T'(t) \Vert = \sqrt{0^2 + (2b)^2 + (6ct)^2} = 2\sqrt{b^2 + 9c^2t^2}

Since we know that abc \neq 0, we can assume that either b or c is non-zero. If b is non-zero, then we can divide by 2b to get:

\kappa(t) = \frac{\sqrt{b^2 + 9c^2t^2}}{b}

Similarly, if c is non-zero, then we can divide by 3ct to get:

\kappa(t) = \frac{\sqrt{b^2 + 9c^2t^2}}{3ct}

Either way, we have isolated \kappa(t) from the expression for T'(t). We can then use this value of \kappa(t) to find the normal vector N(t):

N(t) = \frac{T'(t)}{\kappa(t)} = \frac{(0, 2b, 6ct)}{\kappa(t)} = \frac{(0, 2b, 6ct)}{2\sqrt{b^2 + 9c^2t^2}} = \frac{(0, b, 3ct)}{\sqrt{b^2 + 9c^2t^2}}

Finally, we can find the binormal vector B(t) by taking the cross product of T(t) and N(t):

B(t) = T(t) \times N(t) = (a, 2bt, 3ct^2) \times \frac{(0, b, 3ct)}{\sqrt{b

FAQ: Compute Frenet apparatus (differential geometry)

1. What is the Frenet apparatus in differential geometry?

The Frenet apparatus, also known as the Frenet frame or Frenet-Serret frame, is a set of three unit vectors that describe the orientation of a curve in three-dimensional space. It is used in differential geometry to analyze the curvature and torsion of a curve at a given point.

2. How is the Frenet apparatus computed?

The Frenet apparatus is computed by finding the derivatives of the position vector of the curve with respect to arc length. These derivatives, known as the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors, form the Frenet apparatus.

3. What is the significance of the Frenet apparatus?

The Frenet apparatus is significant because it provides a way to analyze the behavior of a curve in three-dimensional space. The tangent vector represents the direction of motion, the normal vector represents the direction of curvature, and the binormal vector represents the direction of torsion.

4. Are there any applications of the Frenet apparatus?

Yes, the Frenet apparatus has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, design curved structures, and create smooth animations.

5. Is the Frenet apparatus limited to three-dimensional space?

No, the Frenet apparatus can be extended to higher dimensions, but it is most commonly used in three-dimensional space. In higher dimensions, it is known as the Frenet frame or Frenet-Serret frame.