Computer powered off, despite being plugged in. Battery wasn't charging...

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with a PC suddenly powering off and not being able to turn back on. It is suggested that the battery or the power cord may be the problem, and options for recharging the battery are limited. It is also mentioned that the computer may be able to run without a battery. The conversation also mentions the possibility of transferring data to a new PC by removing the hard drive and using an adapter, or starting fresh without any old files. The conversation concludes with the mention of a potential issue with the phone charger's charging pod.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
So, PC powered of all the sudden, wont power on. Battery had not been charging when PC was plugged in. So, can I conclude neither battery nor power cord are working well? I guess my options for doing something to have battery recharge are limited, given PC won't power on. Do I have any option to transfer data to a new PC other than removing the drive and connecting it as a slave to a new PC?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be just the charging unit. It's likely that the computer runs off the battery and the charging unit recharges the battery. Some computers had a scheme where they could run with no battery.

How old is it? I think five years or more would indicate battery too.

Without a charge, you'll need to remove the HD and get an adapter to use it as an external drive for backup or you can start a fresh new life without any baggage computer files. I think the adapter kits are about $30 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0969H82M2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes WWGD
Thanks, suddenly PC works while plugged, but battery still not charging. But PC itself , through USB, is charging the phone. I suspect the charging pod of the phone charger is not working.

Related to Computer powered off, despite being plugged in. Battery wasn't charging...

1. Why is my computer powering off even though it is plugged in?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty power adapter, a damaged charging port, a defective battery, or a software issue. It is recommended to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the root cause.

2. How can I troubleshoot a computer that is not charging despite being plugged in?

First, check the power adapter and charging cable for any visible damage. Try using a different power outlet to rule out any issues with the outlet. If possible, test the power adapter on another device to see if it is functioning properly. If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

3. Is it safe to continue using my computer if it is not charging?

If your computer is not charging despite being plugged in, it is not recommended to continue using it for an extended period of time. Running a computer on battery power alone can lead to data loss if the battery dies unexpectedly. It is best to address the charging issue as soon as possible to prevent any further complications.

4. Can a software update fix the issue of a computer not charging?

In some cases, a software update can resolve charging issues on a computer. Make sure to check for any available updates for your operating system and install them if necessary. However, if the problem persists after updating the software, it is likely a hardware issue that needs to be addressed.

5. How can I prevent my computer from powering off unexpectedly due to charging issues?

To prevent your computer from powering off unexpectedly, make sure to regularly check the charging cable, power adapter, and charging port for any signs of damage. Avoid using third-party chargers that may not be compatible with your device. If you notice any issues with charging, address them promptly to avoid any disruptions in your work or data loss.