Confused about unit conversion involving natural units

kelly0303
Hello! I have an expression whose natural units are Joules, but all the terms are expressed in terms of cm##^{-1}## (it is for an atomic transition). I have a term in the expression whose units are 1/A (angstrom) and I am not sure how to convert it to what I need. On one hand, if I were to go from 1/A to 1/cm, I would need to multiply that term by ##10^8##. On the other hand, if I want to convert to J, I need to multiply by ##\hbar## c, then convert from J to cm##^{-1}##, which gives ##15927759.569##. The difference between the 2 approaches is ##2\pi##, but I am not sure why. Should I actually use hc instead of ##\hbar##c? The issue is that the formula is defined using ##\hbar## and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. For reference I am talking about equation 1 in this paper (##\alpha_5##, ##A_1## and ##A_2## are unitless). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have implicit conversion factors somewhere. You need to make them explicit. (Well, you don't need to, but the chances of screwing up are smaller if you do)

Likes sophiecentaur
kelly0303 said:
On one hand, if I were to go from 1/A to 1/cm, I would need to multiply that term by ##10^8##.
Correct.
kelly0303 said:
Should I actually use hc instead of ##\hbar##c?
Yes. What spectroscopists refer to as wave number is ## 1/\lambda ##, not ## k = 2 \pi / \lambda ##, as theorists often do. In terms of energy (## E=hc/\lambda ##), ##\rm 1 ~eV = 8065.5~cm^{-1} = 1.6022 \times 10^{-19}~J##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

Related to Confused about unit conversion involving natural units

What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of units used in physics where certain fundamental constants are set to 1. This simplifies many equations in theoretical physics. For example, in natural units, the speed of light (c) and Planck's constant (ℏ) are often set to 1.

Why do physicists use natural units?

Physicists use natural units to simplify equations and calculations. By setting fundamental constants to 1, equations become dimensionless and often easier to manipulate. This can make theoretical work more straightforward and reduce the risk of errors.

How do I convert from natural units to SI units?

To convert from natural units to SI units, you need to reintroduce the fundamental constants that were set to 1. For example, if you have a mass in natural units, you would multiply it by the appropriate power of the Planck mass (mp) to convert it to kilograms.

What are some common fundamental constants used in natural units?

Common fundamental constants set to 1 in natural units include the speed of light (c), Planck's constant (ℏ), Boltzmann constant (kB), and the gravitational constant (G). Depending on the context, other constants might also be normalized.

Can natural units be used in all areas of physics?

Natural units are most commonly used in high-energy physics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. They are less commonly used in fields like classical mechanics or engineering, where SI units are more practical and widely understood.