Congruence vs Family of Worldlines: Taking Notes

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary: Killing vector field = force), and they result in two different curves.Yes, that's right. A timelike congruence is a family of worldlines, and a null congruence is the family of free-falling test particles.It's worth noting that, if all you have is a tangent vector at an event, that is not sufficient to specify a unique curve. You have to add some additional information.For example, if you specify that the curve is a geodesic, then the tangent vector at an event does uniquely specify the curve.Or, if you specify that the tangent vector field is a Killing vector field, then Killing's equation provides enough additional information to
kent davidge
I'm taking some notes about what I'm studying, and I would like to know if I can substitute the word "congruence" by "family" of worldlines. Is there any difference? In the literature, it seems that the former is favoured over the latter.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I would like to know if I can substitute the word "congruence" by "family" of worldlines. Is there any difference?

The term "congruence" has a specific standard meaning. The term "family" does not; it is sometimes used as a synonym for "congruence", but it is not a standard term.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
If one goes by the Wikipedia definition

Wikipedia is not using "family" as a technical term, just as an ordinary language term. "Family" has no technical definition that I am aware of. "Congruence" does.

Likes kent davidge
If the details are important, maybe it's a good idea to DEFINE your terms,
even if it is to say " by X , I really mean Y ".

From your wikipedia link, (bolding mine)
In general relativity, a congruence (more properly, a congruence of curves) is the set of integral curves of a (nowhere vanishing) vector field

In general relativity, a timelike congruence in a four-dimensional Lorentzian manifold can be interpreted as a family of world lines of certain ideal observers in our spacetime.

In particular, a timelike geodesic congruence can be interpreted as a family of free-falling test particles.
Null congruences are also important, particularly null geodesic congruences, which can be interpreted as a family of freely propagating light rays.

So, "family of worldlines" without something akin to the bolded phrases allows other kinds of worldlines that would not comprise a congruence.

Likes kent davidge, vanhees71 and strangerep
What's mathematically important is that the tangent vectors of the congruence create a non-vanishing vector field at every event in space and time. Or, as Wiki says, that the congruence is a set of integral curves of a nowhere vanishing vector field.

Does a "family" have this property? If so, it's fine. I would tend to think it does, but as others point out it's a bit vague.

I've not seen it explicitly spelled out, but I, at least, think of the vector-field associated with the congruence as representing the velocity of an "observer". In the standard formalism it's the 4-velocity, though, not the 3-velocity. The wordlines themselves I regard as being the worldlines of "observers". And we require that one unique worldline (observer) pass through every event in space-time.

[afterthoughts, added later]
If "integral curves" are not familiar, it's worth looking them up and reading about them. Basically, the related math says that if you define a non-vanishing vector field at every point, you also define a set of curves whose tangent vectors are the vector field. This is akin to the process of integration, where you specify the derivative of a function at every point, and compute the function via integration, which is uniqute up to a constant factor. But in this case we sepcify the tangent vector of a curve for instance ##\partial t / \partial \tau, \partial x / \partial \tau, \partial y / \partial \tau, \partial z / \partial \tau##, to find the curve itself, ##t(\tau), x(\tau), y(\tau), z(\tau)##.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge and vanhees71
pervect said:
I, at least, think of the vector-field associated with the congruence as representing the velocity of an "observer".

More precisely, this is what a timelike congruence describes--the worldlines of observers. A null congruence describes the worldlines of light rays. Mathematically, one could also construct a spacelike congruence, but I have never seen such a construction used.

Likes cianfa72 and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
More precisely, this is what a timelike congruence describes--the worldlines of observers. A null congruence describes the worldlines of light rays. Mathematically, one could also construct a spacelike congruence, but I have never seen such a construction used.

Ah yes, I was indeed describing a time-like congruence, the only sort of congruence I usually use, rather than a more abstract case.

Likes vanhees71
pervect said:
in this case we sepcify the tangent vector of a curve for instance ##\partial t / \partial \tau, \partial x / \partial \tau, \partial y / \partial \tau, \partial z / \partial \tau##, to find the curve itself, ##t(\tau), x(\tau), y(\tau), z(\tau)##.

It's worth noting that, if all you have is a tangent vector at an event, that is not sufficient to specify a unique curve. You have to add some additional information.

For example, if you specify that the curve is a geodesic, then the tangent vector at an event does uniquely specify the curve.

Or, if you specify that the tangent vector field is a Killing vector field, then Killing's equation provides enough additional information to uniquely specify a curve given a tangent vector at an event.

Basically, these are two different ways of specifying the path curvature of the curve (geodesic = path curvature is zero, Killing = path curvature is a function of the norm of the Killing vector), which is enough additional information to uniquely specify it.

I’ll propose some definitions that I use. A family of paths is simply a set of paths each identified by 3 parameters. If one further requires that every point in the manifold lies on exactly one path in the family, and that every point on every path has a tangent vector (this is a minimal smoothness requirement), then you have a congruence. The associated vector field is simply all of the tangent vectors. Personally, I find it more useful to reverse the standard definition in this way, in most situations, than to specify a vector field first.

Likes kent davidge
PAllen said:
A family of paths is simply a set of paths each identified by 3 parameters.

Is there a standard technical definition of "family" in a textbook or paper? I've never seen one. The only technical term I've seen a standard definition for in this connection is "congruence".

kent davidge said:
In the literature, it seems that the former is favoured over the latter.

Can you give any examples from the literature of the use of "family" as a technical term (as opposed to just an informal word meaning "some bunch of worldlines")?

Likes kent davidge
PeterDonis said:
Is there a standard technical definition of "family" in a textbook or paper? I've never seen one. The only technical term I've seen a standard definition for in this connection is "congruence".
No, that's why I identified it as a personal definition. However, it is inspired by many areas of math that talk in terms of a "k parameter family of X". At least if I want to refer to a family of world lines, for example, I would simply give my definition. A definition cannot be wrong really, though it would be perverse if it contradicts a standard one. In this case, you and I are both unaware of a standard one.

PAllen said:
that's why I identified it as a personal definition

I understand, but the OP's question doesn't seem to be about personal definitions. It seems to be about standard technical definitions. The OP can clarify if I am mistaken.

Related to Congruence vs Family of Worldlines: Taking Notes

1. What is the difference between congruence and a family of worldlines?

Congruence refers to a set of objects that share the same characteristics or properties, while a family of worldlines refers to a set of possible paths or trajectories that an object can take. In other words, congruence focuses on the similarities between objects, while a family of worldlines focuses on the possible variations or options for an object's path.

2. How do you take notes on congruence and family of worldlines?

When taking notes on congruence and family of worldlines, it is important to first understand the concepts and their definitions. Then, you can create a chart or table to compare and contrast the two concepts, noting their similarities and differences. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw diagrams or illustrations to visualize the concepts.

3. What are some real-world examples of congruence and family of worldlines?

An example of congruence in the real world could be a set of identical twins who share the same physical characteristics. An example of a family of worldlines could be a person's potential career paths, each representing a different trajectory or option for their future.

4. How do congruence and family of worldlines relate to each other?

Congruence and family of worldlines are related in that they both involve sets or groups of objects or paths. However, they differ in their focus and purpose. Congruence emphasizes the similarities between objects, while a family of worldlines focuses on the possible variations or options for an object's path.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding congruence and family of worldlines?

Understanding congruence and family of worldlines can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and sociology. In mathematics, these concepts can help with pattern recognition and problem-solving. In physics, they can aid in understanding the possible paths of particles or objects. In sociology, they can provide insight into the similarities and differences between groups of people.