Conjecture and dangling prospects

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, the conversation was about a coworker who believes dinosaurs are faked by Darwinists and was discussing the difficulty of questions on a TV show. The speaker is glad they sit on the other side so their reactions are not visible and admits to being privy to interesting conversations. They also mention a previous experience with a pompous coworker.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I know I've commented before about some of the amazing things that my co-workers have come up with like "Is Germany its own country?"

The guy that believes dinosaurs are faked by Darwinists because "you can make anything you want out of a pile of bones", was talking about the tv show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. He was commenting on how difficult the questions on math and especially English are, like "conjecture, you know, like sentences, and dangling prospects". :bugeye:

I am SO glad that I sit on the other side where they can't see my face when they talk about these things.

I must admit I'm privy to some of the most fascinating conversations I've ever heard. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
The guy that believes dinosaurs are faked by Darwinists because "you can make anything you want out of a pile of bones",

:smile: You should ask him how he explains the skulls!

G01 said:
:smile: You should ask him how he explains the skulls!
Haven't you noticed that the skulls are glued together out of many small parts? Obviously faked.

Evo's coworker said:
"conjecture, you know, like sentences, and dangling prospects".
Perhaps they don't believe in English either. You can make anything you want out of a pile of words.

*Sigh*
You're lucky that you have such great coworkers who make you laugh all the time!:biggrin:

I used to work for the most pompous ass on the planet, and he used the largest words he could whenever he could. One of his favorites is "subsequently" - the sad part is that he always used it as if it meant "consequently" or "therefor". When he would give me and my assistant tapes of dictated product descriptions, we would have to re-write and re-phrase everything. In describing an antique chest of drawers, he once dictated "...the frontis is elaborated with incredulous coluuuums." (that's how he pronounces columns, BTW). He could have said "the front of the chest is decorated with elaborately-carved columns", but clarity is not this guy's strong suit. He is the product of the University of Maine's School of partying - er, I mean Education. Yep! He taught History in a local high school.

Evo said:
I know I've commented before about some of the amazing things that my co-workers have come up with like "Is Germany its own country?"

The guy that believes dinosaurs are faked by Darwinists because "you can make anything you want out of a pile of bones", was talking about the tv show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. He was commenting on how difficult the questions on math and especially English are, like "conjecture, you know, like sentences, and dangling prospects". :bugeye:

I am SO glad that I sit on the other side where they can't see my face when they talk about these things.

I must admit I'm privy to some of the most fascinating conversations I've ever heard. :-p
You're tougher than I am! :biggrin: I couldn't take that kind of prolonged psychological torture.

Related to Conjecture and dangling prospects

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is a statement or idea that is based on limited evidence and has not been proven to be true. It is often used in the context of mathematics and science to propose a theory or hypothesis that requires further investigation.

2. How is a conjecture different from a hypothesis?

A conjecture and a hypothesis are similar in that they both propose an idea or theory that requires testing and evidence. However, a hypothesis is more specific and testable, while a conjecture is often a more general and open-ended idea that may not have a clear method of proof.

3. Can a conjecture be proven?

No, a conjecture cannot be proven. It is by definition an unproven statement or idea. However, it can be supported by evidence and become widely accepted as a theory or principle.

4. What are dangling prospects?

Dangling prospects are ideas or theories that are not fully developed or supported by evidence. They may be used to generate interest and discussion, but they lack the substance or proof to be considered a legitimate conjecture.

5. How do scientists use conjecture and dangling prospects in their research?

Scientists may use conjecture and dangling prospects as a starting point for their research. They may propose a hypothesis based on a conjecture, and then conduct experiments and gather evidence to either support or refute the conjecture. Dangling prospects may also be used as a way to generate new ideas and avenues for further investigation.