Conservation of energy/inclined planes

In summary: No, the closed system was implicit in the condition at the end of the question - 'assume a frictionless ride' so energy is still conserved.
Alyssa Jesse
I am currently taking a 1st year introductory physics paper at university. I don't have a strong background in maths or science.

Homework Statement

A skateboarder with a total mass of 65kg is skating on a half-pipe ramp, as shown above. When he is at the bottom of the ramp he is traveling at 12m/s. Using the principles of energy conservation, calculate how high (h) up the other side of the ramp he travels? (Assume a frictionless ride)

I'm feeling stuck as to where to start. I guess this has something to do with inclined planes, and the skateboarder would reach the same height on the opposite ramp as the height that he started at, but as the problem doesn't give me the height, I don't know how to work it out.

I'm wondering if kinetic energy would be relevant, as the formula is KE=1/2mv^2, and I have the mass and velocity?

Help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't attached any image of the problem.

When the skater is at the bottom of the ramp, all his initial potential energy has been converted to kinetic energy. Express this mathematically and you will be able to find the height relative to the base of the ramp with which he started from.

I'm wondering if kinetic energy would be relevant, as the formula is KE=1/2mv^2, and I have the mass and velocity?
Sure. See the problem statement: "Using the principles of energy conservation"
At the bottom of the half-pipe, the skateboarder has kinetic energy.
At the highest point he reaches, which type of energy does he have? How do you calculate this?
How can you use energy conservation to relate those two points?

Here is the image.

I worked out

KE= 1/2me^2
KE= 1/2(650*12m/s2)
KE= 46800j

Have I done this wrong? How does that equal the height of the ramp?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
mfb said:
Sure. See the problem statement: "Using the principles of energy conservation"
At the bottom of the half-pipe, the skateboarder has kinetic energy.
At the highest point he reaches, which type of energy does he have? How do you calculate this?
How can you use energy conservation to relate those two points?

At the height of the ramp would he have gravitational potential energy?

Last edited:
Alyssa Jesse said:
Here is the image.

I worked out

KE= 1/2me^2
KE= 1/2(650*12m/s2)
KE= 46800j

Have I done this wrong? How does that equal the height of the ramp?

Recalculate KE - the mass is given as 65kg and everything has the right units to yield a KE in SI units. That cannot equal the height of the ramp based on, besides anything else, dimensional arguments.
You are correct that at the top of the ramp the skater possesses gravitational potential energy. Now relate the energy at the top of the ramp to the energy at the bottom.

The formula that I have for GPE is
GPE= weight*height

But because I don't have the height, I can't see how to use this, and how to use energy conservation to relate the two points.

Alyssa Jesse said:
The formula that I have for GPE is
GPE= weight*height

But because I don't have the height, I can't see how to use this

Is height not what you are solving for?

how to use energy conservation to relate the two points.

Have you covered conservation of mechanical energy yet? Write the equation for energy when the skater is at the top of the ramp. Write the equation for energy when the skater is the bottom of the ramp. The energy at the top is converted to the energy at the bottom.

So would it be -

GPE= mgh
h= GPE/mg
h= 4680/(65*10) = 7.2m?

Alyssa Jesse said:
So would it be -

GPE= mgh
h= GPE/mg
h= 4680/(65*10) = 7.2m?

That is the correct answer, but do you understand why you have GPE = (1/2)mv2?

Conservation of energy? Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it may be transformed from one form into another, but the total amount of energy never changes? So in a closed system gravitation potential energy must equal kinetic energy and vice versa?

Alyssa Jesse said:
Conservation of energy? Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it may be transformed from one form into another, but the total amount of energy never changes? So in a closed system gravitation potential energy must equal kinetic energy and vice versa?

GPE need not equal KE at all times, but the sum of them is always constant. In your case, at the top of the ramp, all the skater's energy was GPE (KE = 0). At the bottom, all the energy was in KE (GPE = 0). At an intermediate stage between top of ramp and bottom, the energy of the skater consists of GPE and KE.

The closed system was explicit in the condition at the end of the question - 'assume frictionless ride' so there is no energy dissipation.

Likes 1 person

Related to Conservation of energy/inclined planes

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to inclined planes?

In the context of inclined planes, the law of conservation of energy means that the total amount of energy at the top of the incline (initial potential energy) is equal to the total amount of energy at the bottom of the incline (final kinetic energy).

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy on an inclined plane?

The conservation of energy on an inclined plane is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

4. How does friction impact the conservation of energy on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing a loss of energy. This means that on an inclined plane, friction will decrease the amount of kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline, resulting in less energy being conserved.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated on an inclined plane?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. However, in real-world situations, there may be slight discrepancies due to factors such as air resistance and measurement errors.