Conservationof energy and angular speed

In summary: The book uses conservation of energy because it hasn't introduced conservation of angular momentum yet.
CornMuffin
A small 13.0-g bug stands at one end of a thin uniform bar that is initially at rest on a smooth horizontal table. The other end of the bar pivots about a nail driven into the table and can rotate freely, without friction. The bar has mass 70.0 g and is 90 cm in length. The bug jumps off in the horizontal direction, perpendicular to the bar, with a speed of 25.0 cm/s relative to the table.

Homework Statement

What is the angular speed of the bar just after the frisky insect leaps?
mass of bug = .013kg
mass of bar = .070kg
length of bar = 0.9m
final velocity of bug = 0.25 m/s
initial velocity of bug = 0
initial velocity of bar = 0

Homework Equations

I = (1/3)ML^2
K(bug) = (1/2)mV^2
K(bar) = (1/2)Iw
Sum of the energy before = sum of the energy after

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = K(bug) + K(bar)
0 = (1/2)mV^2 + (1/2)Iw
0 = (1/2)mV^2 + (1/2)(1/3)ML^2w
w = -[mV^2]/[(1/3)ML^2]

but that doesn't come out with the correct answer

where w is the lowercase omega standing for angular velocity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just quickly looking at this, I notice you left the square off the omega in your equation for rotational kinetic energy. It should be K(bar) = 0.5Iw^2.

Ya, i noticed that a little bit ago, and when I put in the square... This is from a problem in the book with different values, but using the values in the book, my answer still does not agree with the answer in the book. If i did everything right, maybe the answer in the book is wrong...it could happen lol.

Well, the final answer turned out to be 0.155 rad/s, but I'm not sure why

CornMuffin said:
Well, the final answer turned out to be 0.155 rad/s, but I'm not sure why

So this is the book's answer?

hage567 said:
So this is the book's answer?

yes, using these values, that is the answer

Was the book using conservation of energy in the example? I would use conservation of angular momentum about the pivot point for this problem.

FAQ: Conservationof energy and angular speed

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is usually measured in radians per second.

How is conservation of energy related to angular speed?

Conservation of energy is related to angular speed through the law of conservation of angular momentum. This law states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In other words, as the angular speed of an object increases, its moment of inertia decreases in order to conserve angular momentum.

What are some examples of conservation of energy and angular speed in everyday life?

One example is a spinning top. As it spins, its angular speed decreases due to friction, but its moment of inertia decreases as well to conserve angular momentum. Another example is a figure skater pulling in her arms and increasing her angular speed to spin faster.

Why is understanding conservation of energy and angular speed important?

Understanding conservation of energy and angular speed is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the energy and speed of objects in various situations.

Back