Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane

In summary, The conversation discusses an issue regarding a constraint related to an angle in an inclined plane. The person is trying to find a constraint relating to angle β and is questioning why their classmate wrote the constraint as tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa) instead of tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P). The person also asks about the meaning of the expression 'P-Xa' and why anyone would write tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa) where P-Xa < 0. The expert summarizer explains that it all depends on whether P and Xa are treated as displacements or distances. In the geometrical argument, they are treated as distances and thus non-negative, making P
CGandC
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Hello,

I have an issue regarding a constraint related to an angle:

Suppose I have masses 'A' and 'B' on an inclined plane ( of mass 'C') attached by a pulley.

I place my origin as shown and I want to find a constraint relating angle β.

upload_2018-2-3_20-36-59.png

so, I saw my classmate writing as follows to find that constraint:

tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa)

So my questions are:
1. why I can't define the constraint as tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P) rather then tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa)
2. what does the expression 'P-Xa' mean? it can't be length because it is negative, so I thought - is it the displacement of the wedge relative to mass A? but what about the angle β being negative? ( it is supposed to be positive)

Notes:
- 'Xa' and 'Ya' are the coordinates of mass 'A'
- 'P' is the coordinate of the leftmost vertice of the triangle
-The coordinates need to stay as they are, this is part of what makes up the difficulty.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-3_20-36-59.png
    upload_2018-2-3_20-36-59.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Physics news on Phys.org
You could do that.
It all depends on how you define the directions of the axes, which you are always free to do however you want unless the exercise states otherwise, which it has done in this case.

p-x is not equal to x-p, but abs.(p-xa) ia always equal to abs.(xa-p). Length is always a absolute value, but we are sloppy and not always write it out since it is very often already positive.

And P is always greater then xa so you for that reason you take P-xa, but, if you like you could take the absolutvalue of xa-P, i.e. tan(B) = (Ya)/(abs.(xa-p))

FilipLand said:
P is always greater then xa
Is that what you meant? As I read the question, those are both negative and P has the greater magnitude, so P<Xa.

FilipLand said:
You could do that.
It all depends on how you define the directions of the axes, which you are always free to do however you want unless the exercise states otherwise, which it has done in this case.

p-x is not equal to x-p, but abs.(p-xa) ia always equal to abs.(xa-p). Length is always a absolute value, but we are sloppy and not always write it out since it is very often already positive.

And P is always greater then xa so you for that reason you take P-xa, but, if you like you could take the absolutvalue of xa-P, i.e. tan(B) = (Ya)/(abs.(xa-p))

haruspex said:
Is that what you meant? As I read the question, those are both negative and P has the greater magnitude, so P<Xa.

according to my coordinates ( which I cannot change) P<Xa

CGandC said:
according to my coordinates ( which I cannot change) P<Xa
How is the purple arrow smaller then the blue one "xa" in the figure?

FilipLand said:
How is the purple arrow smaller then the blue one "xa" in the figure?
It is a longer arrow, but that only means it has greater magnitude. E.g. -2 > -3.

I think I should write the constraint as : ' tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P) ' and that is because ' Xa-P > 0 ' if this assumption is correct, then why would anyone want to write 'tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa)' where 'P-Xa < 0' ?

CGandC said:
write the constraint as : ' tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P) '
Yes.
CGandC said:
why would anyone want to write 'tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa)' where 'P-Xa < 0' ?
Because they are confused over displacement versus distance. Or you could define β as the angle to the leftward segment of the x axis.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Because they are confused over displacement versus distance. Or you could define β as the angle to the leftward segment of the x axis.

I understand your reasoning, but my classmate looked at the problem in a geometrical way which perplexed me :

Let's say geometrically , if I have a triangle as shown below , and I want to calculate 'AE' then I work it out as:
' AE = AD-ED '

upload_2018-2-5_15-24-15.png

now, If I want to put the same triangle in a coordinate system as shown below then a fortiori , 'AE' should still be
calculated the same way , as shown below

upload_2018-2-5_15-25-5.png

( 'AE = AD - ED' , where AD<ED<0 because of the coordinates )

using this line of reasoning, I deduce that the constraint should be written as:
tan(β) = (Ya)/(P-Xa) ( where P-XA is just like AD-ED )
and not: tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P)

So does this make what we agreed on - that the constraint is 'tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P) ' as false?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-5_15-20-21.png
    upload_2018-2-5_15-20-21.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 487
  • upload_2018-2-5_15-21-7.png
    upload_2018-2-5_15-21-7.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 504
  • upload_2018-2-5_15-24-15.png
    upload_2018-2-5_15-24-15.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 399
  • upload_2018-2-5_15-25-5.png
    upload_2018-2-5_15-25-5.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
CGandC said:
So does this make what we agreed on - that the constraint is 'tan(β) = (Ya)/(Xa-P) ' as false?
As I wrote, it all depends whether you are treating P and Xa as displacements or distances.

The geometrical argument makes them distances. Distances are unsigned scalars, so non-negative. Consequently, in that view, P>Xa and P-Xa is positive.

In your own approach, P and Xa are displacements from the origin, in the negative direction. Displacements are vectors, so signed. In this view, Xa>P.

Both approaches are valid and produce the right result. Arguably, the vector approach is more general. In some contexts, you do not know in advance which distance is the greater. Vectors handle that uncertainty better than scalars do.

haruspex said:
As I wrote, it all depends whether you are treating P and Xa as displacements or distances.

The geometrical argument makes them distances. Distances are unsigned scalars, so non-negative. Consequently, in that view, P>Xa and P-Xa is positive.

In your own approach, P and Xa are displacements from the origin, in the negative direction. Displacements are vectors, so signed. In this view, Xa>P.

Both approaches are valid and produce the right result. Arguably, the vector approach is more general. In some contexts, you do not know in advance which distance is the greater. Vectors handle that uncertainty better than scalars do.
So from what I understand , solving a physics problem has two approaches:
1. geometrical approach( distances only, there is no negative distance and no vectors)
2. analytical geometry approach ( there's coordinate axis and we can have here distances , displacements, vectors... )

What I did in this problem is to approach it using techniques of analytical geometry rather then pure geometry and not knowing the difference between the two approaches entirely ... that is why I was having difficulty about wether in the constraint there should be 'Xa-P' or 'P-Xa' , Do you agree?

CGandC said:
So from what I understand , solving a physics problem has two approaches:
1. geometrical approach( distances only, there is no negative distance and no vectors)
2. analytical geometry approach ( there's coordinate axis and we can have here distances , displacements, vectors... )

What I did in this problem is to approach it using techniques of analytical geometry rather then pure geometry and not knowing the difference between the two approaches entirely ... that is why I was having difficulty about wether in the constraint there should be 'Xa-P' or 'P-Xa' , Do you agree?
Yes.

Likes CGandC

Related to Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane

1. What is the concept of "Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane"?

The "Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane" is a physics problem in which two blocks are placed on a sloped surface and are connected by a string or pulley. The position and motion of the blocks are constrained by the string or pulley, making it a common example of a constrained system in mechanics.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the blocks?

The angle of the inclined plane, also known as the angle of inclination, affects the motion of the blocks by changing the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force acting on them. A steeper angle will result in a greater component of the force acting down the slope, while a shallower angle will result in a smaller component of the force. This affects the acceleration and velocity of the blocks as they move down the plane.

3. What are the key equations used to solve for the motion of the blocks on an inclined plane?

The key equations used to solve for the motion of the blocks on an inclined plane include Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), the equations for friction (Ff=μN), and the equations for the components of the gravitational force (Fgx=mg sinθ, Fgy=mg cosθ). These equations can be used to calculate the net forces and acceleration of the blocks, as well as the tension in the string or pulley.

4. How does the mass of the blocks affect the motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the blocks affects the motion on an inclined plane by changing the force required to move the blocks and the acceleration they experience. A larger mass will require a greater force to overcome its inertia and move down the plane, resulting in a slower acceleration. However, the mass does not affect the angle of the inclined plane or the components of the gravitational force acting on the blocks.

5. What are the practical applications of the "Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane" problem?

The "Constraint of Two blocks on an inclined plane" problem has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and physics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects on inclined surfaces, such as ramps or slopes, and understand the forces and constraints involved. This problem can also be applied to real-life situations, such as the motion of objects on a hill or the movement of vehicles on a sloped road.