Constructing lagrangian and phase portrait

In summary, the conversation discusses a non-uniform disk rolling without slipping on a horizontal plane, and deriving the Lagrangian of the system. The phase portrait for the system is also sketched, with elliptic and hyperbolic points identified and the orientation of arrows discussed. The sign of a relation between the horizontal distance and the angle is also checked.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A non–uniform disk of mass M and radius R rolls without slipping along a horizontal plane in a straight line as shown in the attachment. The centre of gravity G is displaced a distance a from the centre of the disk. Let θ be the angle between the downward vertical and the line from the centre of the disk to the centre of gravity, as shown in the diagram. Show that the Lagrangian of the system is $$L = \frac{1}{2}[I + M(R^2 + a^2 - 2aR\cos\theta)]\dot{\theta}^2 + Mga\cos\theta$$ You may assume that the rotational energy of the disk about its centre of gravity is ##(1/2) I \dot{\theta}^2## , where I is the moment of inertia of the disk about an axis through the centre of gravity (and perpendicular to the disk).

Sketch the phase portrait for ##-\pi \leq \theta \leq \pi##

Homework Equations

L=T-V
T = kinetic energy about co.m + kinetic energy of c.o.m

The Attempt at a Solution

I nearly have the right expression for the lagrangian except one sign. The position vector of the point G, is relative to the coordinate axes $$\mathbf r = (x + a\sin \theta)\hat x + (R - a\cos \theta)\hat y,$$ where ##x## is the horizontal distance from origin to the centre of the disk. Taking time derivative and squaring I get ##(R^2 + a^2 + 2aR\cos \theta)\dot{\theta}^2## where I took ##\dot x = R\dot{\theta}## since no slip. So I have a minus error in the third term there.

To sketch the phase portrait, I should find the stability matrix, compute eigenvalues and determine their nature. I found elliptic points at ##(\theta^*, p^*) = (\pm \pi, 0)## and hyperbolic at ##(0,0)##. I thought the centre of gravity would maybe behave similar to a pendulum however this is not reflected in the nature of the critical points. Really I am just looking for some help on how to decide the orientation of the arrows in the phase portrait. When ##\theta = \pi##, the COM is near the top of the disk, so maybe expect a lower momentum when it is there, so as approach ##\pi## want to be decreasing in momentum so have the ellipse around ##(\pi,0)## going clockwise and similarly for the one at ##(-\pi,0)## because of symmetry. Then draw in hyperbolic lines for (0,0) so that the chart arrows are consistent. Is that ok? Thanks!

Attachments

• P1.png
    P1.png
    623 bytes · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
... where I took ##\dot x = R\dot{\theta}## since no slip.

Check the signs in this relation. From the way that ##\theta## is defined, does ##x## increase as ##\theta## increases?

I'm a little hesitant to comment on your phase portrait as I have not worked much with this topic. But it seems to me that ##(\theta , p) = (0,0)## should be a stable elliptic point and ##(\theta , p) = (\pm \pi, 0)## should be hyperbolic points (saddle points?).

Likes CAF123

Related to Constructing lagrangian and phase portrait

1. What is a Lagrangian and why is it important in physics?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a system without having to solve complex differential equations. Instead, we can use the principle of least action to find the path that a system will take between two points in time.

2. How is a Lagrangian constructed?

A Lagrangian is typically constructed by summing the kinetic and potential energies of a system. This can be done for any physical system, from simple particles to complex systems such as fluids or electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the phase portrait of a system?

A phase portrait is a graphical representation of the possible states of a system over time. It shows the position and momentum (or other relevant variables) of a system at any given point in time, and how those values change over time.

4. How can phase portraits be used to understand a system?

Phase portraits can be used to analyze the behavior of a system and predict its future states. They can also reveal important information about the stability and equilibrium points of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to constructing Lagrangians and phase portraits?

One limitation is that Lagrangians and phase portraits are based on classical mechanics and may not accurately describe systems at a quantum scale. Additionally, they may become more complex and difficult to construct for highly nonlinear systems.

Back