Contour Integral with just straight lines?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a contour integral involving curved lines. The problem is to solve the integral \oint_C \vec A \cdot d\vec s where A=y^2\hat x + 2x \hat y and C is a rectangular contour with given vertices. It is suggested to either break the integral into 4 separate line integrals or use Green's Theorem.
hd28cw
I'm trying to solve this contour integral shown on the attached file, I know usually that they involve curved lines. I know that this is trivial but I need some help with the problem. Please take a look.

Attachments

• PHYSICSproblem.doc
    24 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
You might get more replies if you typed the equations in your message - some of us don't have or use MS Word.

The problem states:

Solve the contour integral [tex]\oint_C \vec A \cdot d\vec s[/tex] where [tex]A=y^2\hat x + 2x \hat y[/tex].

C is the rectangular contour with vertices (0,0),(2,0),(2,4),(0,4).

You could break the integral up and perform 4 separate line integrals, noting the direction of the [itex]d\vec s[/itex] in each case or do it the quicky way by applying Green's Theorem.

Related to Contour Integral with just straight lines?

1. What is a contour integral with just straight lines?

A contour integral with just straight lines is a type of integral used in complex analysis that involves integrating along a straight path in the complex plane. It is typically used to evaluate the integral of a complex-valued function along a closed contour.

2. How is a contour integral with just straight lines different from a regular integral?

Unlike a regular integral, a contour integral with just straight lines is performed in the complex plane rather than the real plane. It also takes into account the orientation of the path, as well as the values of the function along the path.

3. What are the uses of contour integrals with just straight lines?

Contour integrals with just straight lines are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving complex functions. They are also used in the study of complex analysis and the theory of functions of a complex variable.

4. How do you calculate a contour integral with just straight lines?

To calculate a contour integral with just straight lines, you first parameterize the path in terms of a complex variable. Then, you substitute the parameterized path into the integral and evaluate it using standard techniques such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or Cauchy's integral formula.

5. What are the key properties of contour integrals with just straight lines?

Some key properties of contour integrals with just straight lines include linearity, additivity, and the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, which states that if a function is analytic on a simply connected region, then its contour integral along any closed path is equal to 0.

Back