Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kruidnootje
  • Start date
In summary, the Perimeter is 6000 kilometers, the Area is 57491 kilometers, the Angle A is 1.711 degrees, the Angle B is 177.01 degrees, and the Angle C is 1.279 degrees.
Kruidnootje
I plotted 3 points on Google Earth.
West (point A) to slightly North point (point B)= 1284 Km A-B
From Point B to further East Point (point C) = 1717 Km
Then a straight direct line from point C back to point A

The Perimeter = 6001 Km
Area = 57 491 Km

Angle A = 1.711 degrees
Angle B = 177.01 degrees
Angle C = 1.279 degrees
(sorry can't find any degree sign symbol on the right)

Problem:
When I drop a perpendicular line down from Angle B to the longest line (3000) the height is 18 Km
When I calculate by using the formula h = 57491/1500 = 38.33 Km

Is the discrepancy caused by the curvature of the Earth on Google maps? Can one even form an accurate triangular representation in this manner?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you were working on a flat plane then you would have a right triangle with legs of length 1284 and 1717 km. The third side, the hypotenuse would have length $\sqrt{(1284)^2+ (1717)^2}= 2144$ km so the perimeter would be $1284+ 1717+ 2144= 5145$ km, not the "6000" km you have.

Since this is already a right triangle, I don't know why you construct another altitude. The area is just (1/2)(1284)(1717)= 1102314 square kilometers.

(And the area is in square kilometers, not kilometers.)

View attachment 8035

Hallo countryboy
As you can see from the actual measurements in google Earth I am a little confused as to how this is a right triangle? I see the math you have done but that leaves me a bit bewildered when viewing the actual physical situation.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-04-01 at 15.39.34.png
    Screen shot 2018-04-01 at 15.39.34.png
    2 KB · Views: 76
You said, in your original post,
"I plotted 3 points on Google Earth.
West (point A) to slightly North point (point B)= 1284 Km A-B
From Point B to further East Point (point C) = 1717 Km
Then a straight direct line from point C back to point A"

If point B is "slightly north" of point A and point C is "further east" of point C, then angle ABC is a right angle. I don't see how the "map" you show has anything to do with your original description.

Country Boy said:
If point B is "slightly north" of point A and point C is "further east" of point C, then angle ABC is a right angle. I don't see how the "map" you show has anything to do with your original description.

Well I suppose it would appear that I should have said, A is west, B is the upper middle point and C is East. Then C back to A is a straight line. I am sorry if the original description was mis-leading you, regardless though, the question still remains now does this make your calculations wrong, or are they correct because you have allowed for something that I missed?
Thankyou countryboy

FAQ: Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights

1. What is a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights?

A Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights is a geometric figure that has three sides of different lengths and one angle measuring greater than 90 degrees.

2. How is a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights different from a regular Scalene triangle?

A regular Scalene triangle has all three sides of different lengths and all three angles measuring less than 90 degrees. A Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights has one angle measuring greater than 90 degrees, making it an obtuse triangle.

3. Can a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights exist in real life?

Yes, a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights can exist in real life. It is a valid geometric shape and can be created by manipulating the lengths of the sides and angles of a regular Scalene triangle.

4. What is the importance of studying Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights?

Studying Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights can help in understanding the properties and characteristics of different geometric shapes. It also helps in problem-solving and developing critical thinking skills.

5. How do you calculate the area of a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights?

The area of a Contradictory Scalene Obtuse Tn Heights can be calculated using the formula A = (1/2)bh, where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height. The height can be found by using the sine function and the base can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

Back