Convert Rectangular to Polar: Solving for $\theta$

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an equation to polar coordinates and the challenges of plotting it on a graphing platform. The simplified equation is $\theta=\arctan(3)$ and the plotted equation is $r=-2-3\sin(\theta)$. It is mentioned that the Desmos platform has difficulty with inputting symbols and functions on certain devices.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Covert to polar
$$y=3 x$$
I got... But it didn't plot on desmos... Can't show polar graph here?
$$r\sin\left({\theta}\right)=3r\cos\left({\theta}\right)$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Covert to polar
$$y=3 x$$
I got... But it didn't plot on desmos... Can't show polar graph here?
$$r\sin\left({\theta}\right)=3r\cos\left({\theta}\right)$$

Simplifying further:
$$\sin(\theta)=3 \cos(\theta) \quad \implies \quad \tan(\theta)=3\quad\implies\quad \theta=\arctan(3).$$
Alas, it appears that Desmos cannot plot $\theta$ as a function of anything, yet.

OK, however desmos does plot

$$r=-2-3\sin\left({\theta}\right)$$

Although there is no way to put in $\theta$ on the drop down here

Hmm, let's see:

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]r=-2-3 sin(θ)[/desmos]

If you show the keyboard, then click the ABC on the lower left, you'll see a $\theta$ key. Interestingly, because I just typeset $\theta$ using the $\LaTeX$ code
Code:
$\theta$
I can copy that $\theta$ character and paste it into Desmos, and it understands it.

I tried but the keyboard would not appear hiting the icon off the interactive tab.

It may be because I am using a android tablet, I have a lot of problems with the finger zoom also, the taptalk ad enlarges so much that's all you can see

karush said:
I tried but the keyboard would not appear hiting the icon off the interactive tab.

It may be because I am using a android tablet, I have a lot of problems with the finger zoom also, the taptalk ad enlarges so much that's all you can see

Yeah, you're probably better off on a laptop or desktop. Still, we'd like our Tapatalk version to work ok, if possible.

Related to Convert Rectangular to Polar: Solving for $\theta$

1. What is the formula for converting rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ) is: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x).

2. How do I solve for θ when given the rectangular coordinates?

To solve for θ, you can use the formula θ = arctan(y/x). First, find the values of x and y from the rectangular coordinates (x,y). Then, plug these values into the formula to find the value of θ.

3. Can I convert negative rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

Yes, you can convert negative rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates. The formula for r = √(x^2 + y^2) will always give a positive value for r, and the value of θ will depend on the quadrant the point is located in.

4. What is the range of values for r and θ in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, r represents the distance from the origin and can have any positive value. θ represents the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis and can have values from 0° to 360°.

5. How do I convert polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates (r,θ) to rectangular coordinates (x,y), you can use the formulas x = r*cos(θ) and y = r*sin(θ). First, find the values of r and θ from the polar coordinates. Then, plug these values into the formulas to find the values of x and y.