Coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric

In summary, the null geodesics in the usual Minkowski coordinates are given by ##x\pm t = const##. You can find them in the given coordinates and use that to set the coordinate change that matches them.
offscene
Homework Statement
Starting from the metric ##ds^2=-X^2dT^2+dX^2##, using a coordinate transformation of T and X to t and x, convert it to the form ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2 (standard flat 2D metric).
Relevant Equations
Not actually a homework problem ("confession" from example 7.3 in Hartle's book for Gravity and GR) and no other relevant equations I can think of besides the standard chain rule but thought that this was the most fitting place to ask.
I started by expanding ##dx## and ##dt## using chain rule:

$$dt = \frac{dt}{dX}dX+\frac{dt}{dT}dT$$
$$dx = \frac{dx}{dX}dX+\frac{dx}{dT}dT$$

and then expressing ##ds^2## as such:

$$ds^2 = \left(\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\right)^2\right)dX^2+\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dT}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dt}{dT}\right)^2\right)dT^2 + 2\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\frac{dt}{dT}+\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dx}{dX}\right)$$

But after matching the coefficients to the original ##ds^2##, I am unable to solve the equations to come up with the right transformation and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction/show me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the transformation with ##x = X\cosh(T)## and ##t = X\sinh(T)## with some guess and check but is there a cleaner way to do this?

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
The null geodesics in the usual Minkowski coordinates are given by ##x\pm t = const##. You can find them in the given coordinates and use that to set the coordinate change that matches them. In your case the null curves are given by ##dX^2=X^2dT^2##, which can be solved easily and gives ##Xe^{\pm T} = const## (you don't have to check that these are geodesics, if the change of variables works). So setting ##x+t = Xe^T## and ##x-t = Xe^{-T}## gives you the ones you found.

Likes offscene and TSny
offscene said:
Homework Statement:: Starting from the metric ##ds^2=-X^2dT^2+dX^2##, using a coordinate transformation of T and X to t and x, convert it to the form ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2 (standard flat 2D metric).
Relevant Equations:: Not actually a homework problem ("confession" from example 7.3 in Hartle's book for Gravity and GR) and no other relevant equations I can think of besides the standard chain rule but thought that this was the most fitting place to ask.

I started by expanding ##dx## and ##dt## using chain rule:

But after matching the coefficients to the original ##ds^2##, I am unable to solve the equations to come up with the right transformation and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction/show me.

Using the chain rule in [tex]ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 = -X^2 dT^2 + dX^2[/tex] you should find [tex]
\begin{split}
\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial X}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial t}{\partial X}\right)^2 &= 1 \\
\left(\frac{\partial t}{\partial T}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial T}\right)^2 &= X^2 \\
\frac{\partial t}{\partial X}\frac{\partial t}{\partial T} - \frac{\partial x}{\partial T}\frac{\partial x}{\partial X} &= 0\end{split}[/tex] Now the first two equations are satisfied by setting [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial x}{\partial X} = \cosh \zeta \quad \frac{\partial t}{\partial X} &= \sinh \zeta \\
\frac{\partial t}{\partial T} = X\cosh \eta \quad \frac{\partial x}{\partial T} &= X\sinh \eta \end{split}
[/tex] due to the identify [itex]\cosh^2 u - \sinh^2 u = 1[/itex]. At present [itex]\eta[/itex] and [itex]\zeta[/itex] are unknown functions of [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex], but the third equation gives [tex]
X (\sinh \zeta \cosh \eta - \cosh \zeta \sinh \eta) = X \sinh(\zeta - \eta) = 0[/tex] so that [itex]\zeta = \eta[/itex]. The problem is now reduced to finding [itex]\eta[/itex]. We can either find by inspection that [itex]\eta = T[/itex] will work, or we can use equality of mixed partials to find that [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial X\,\partial T} - \frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial T\,\partial X} =
\left(1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T}\right) \sinh \eta + X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X} \cosh \eta &= 0 \\
\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial X\,\partial T} - \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial T\,\partial X} =
\left(1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T}\right) \cosh \eta + X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X} \sinh \eta &= 0
\end{split}[/tex] and solving for the partial derivatives we find [tex]
1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T} = 0 = X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X}.[/tex]

Likes offscene

Related to Coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric

What is a coordinate transformation in the context of a standard flat metric?

A coordinate transformation in the context of a standard flat metric refers to the process of converting coordinates from one coordinate system to another, such that the new coordinates describe the same points in space but adhere to a flat (Euclidean) metric. This means that the transformed coordinates should preserve the distances and angles as they would be measured in a flat, non-curved space.

Why is it important to transform coordinates into a standard flat metric?

Transforming coordinates into a standard flat metric is important for simplifying calculations and analyses in various scientific and engineering fields. It allows for the use of Euclidean geometry, which is often simpler and more intuitive than dealing with curved spaces. This transformation is crucial in fields like physics, computer graphics, and geographic information systems (GIS), where accurate distance and angle measurements are essential.

How do you perform a coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric?

To perform a coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric, one typically uses a set of mathematical functions or matrices that map the original coordinates to the new coordinates. This can involve linear transformations (such as rotations, translations, and scaling) or more complex transformations that account for curvature or other distortions. The specific method depends on the initial coordinate system and the desired flat metric.

What are some common examples of coordinate transformations into a standard flat metric?

Common examples of coordinate transformations into a standard flat metric include converting geographical coordinates (latitude and longitude) into Cartesian coordinates for mapping purposes, transforming image coordinates in computer vision to correct for lens distortion, and converting between different coordinate systems in robotics to ensure precise movement and control. Each of these transformations ensures that the resulting coordinates conform to a flat, Euclidean space.

What challenges might arise when transforming coordinates into a standard flat metric?

Challenges in transforming coordinates into a standard flat metric can include dealing with non-linearities and distortions in the original coordinate system, ensuring accuracy and precision in the transformation process, and handling edge cases where the transformation might not be well-defined. Additionally, computational complexity can be a concern, especially for real-time applications or large datasets. Properly addressing these challenges often requires a deep understanding of both the original and target coordinate systems.