Could the LHC create a particle that would make Earth the size of a football?

• Thread starter radioactive8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary, the concern was surrounding the creation of micro black holes, CERN's website has a section on safety considerations that you may be interested in reading. It is impossible for microscopic black holes to be produced at the LHC, and any that might be created would immediately disintegrate.
radioactive8
Dear readers
for start thank you for your patience in readind this letter
i was readind a book about higgs and in chapter 8 the author discribed this following event :
as CERN was making its plans for the LHC public was worried for the security of the LHC
One peoples fear was from the experiments a unusual particle could be <<created>> and it could reach the centre of the Earth cayzing the tempreture to <<heat up >>... The author said that this fact would make Earth have the size of a football . my question is why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. The concern was surrounding the creation of micro black holes, CERN's website has a section on safety considerations that you may be interested in reading. A relevant point from that page:
Micro black holes said:
Nature forms black holes when certain stars, much larger than our Sun, collapse on themselves at the end of their lives. They concentrate a very large amount of matter in a very small space. Speculations about microscopic black holes at the LHC refer to particles produced in the collisions of pairs of protons, each of which has an energy comparable to that of a mosquito in flight. Astronomical black holes are much heavier than anything that could be produced at the LHC.

According to the well-established properties of gravity, described by Einstein’s relativity, it is impossible for microscopic black holes to be produced at the LHC. There are, however, some speculative theories that predict the production of such particles at the LHC. All these theories predict that these particles would disintegrate immediately. Black holes, therefore, would have no time to start accreting matter and to cause macroscopic effects.

Although theory predicts that microscopic black holes decay rapidly, even hypothetical stable black holes can be shown to be harmless by studying the consequences of their production by cosmic rays. Whilst collisions at the LHC differ from cosmic-ray collisions with astronomical bodies like the Earth in that new particles produced in LHC collisions tend to move more slowly than those produced by cosmic rays, one can still demonstrate their safety. The specific reasons for this depend whether the black holes are electrically charged, or neutral. Many stable black holes would be expected to be electrically charged, since they are created by charged particles. In this case they would interact with ordinary matter and be stopped while traversing the Earth or Sun, whether produced by cosmic rays or the LHC. The fact that the Earth and Sun are still here rules out the possibility that cosmic rays or the LHC could produce dangerous charged microscopic black holes. If stable microscopic black holes had no electric charge, their interactions with the Earth would be very weak. Those produced by cosmic rays would pass harmlessly through the Earth into space, whereas those produced by the LHC could remain on Earth. However, there are much larger and denser astronomical bodies than the Earth in the Universe. Black holes produced in cosmic-ray collisions with bodies such as neutron stars and white dwarf stars would be brought to rest. The continued existence of such dense bodies, as well as the Earth, rules out the possibility of the LHC producing any dangerous black holes.

hi thank you for answering but that isn't what i was looking for ...
i gave the higgs and LHC example just so i can explain my question
my general question is why if an object (or planet) is heated up into very high tempreture its size decreases so much .. Or in my example why if Earth becomes so hot it will have the size of a football ...:rolleyes:

The most obvious answer is that when things are compressed to a smaller size the temperature increases. A micro black hole would absorb matter and grow as it does so shrinking the Earth into a small hot accretion disk. Alternatively you could have been reading about strangelets which may operate in a similar manner.

:confused:
Yeah but your answer is if the obgect is decreased ...
my question is why in high tempretures object decrease their size ? ..
thank you

They don't, I think your confusion stems from a misunderstanding in what you read originally. It's not:

The increase in temperature that leads to the size decrease

it is

The size decrease that leads to the increase in temperature

Does that make sense?

yes ...
thank you very much and sorry for my confusion ..

radioactive8 said:
yes ...
thank you very much and sorry for my confusion ..
No worries :smile:

FAQ: Could the LHC create a particle that would make Earth the size of a football?

What is the LHC?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, in Switzerland.

What is the purpose of the LHC?

The LHC is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and then collide them together. These collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

What are some of the key discoveries made at the LHC?

The LHC has made many important discoveries, including the discovery of the Higgs boson particle in 2012. This discovery confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and helped to explain how particles acquire mass. Other discoveries include the observation of rare particle decays and the production of quark-gluon plasma, a state of matter that existed shortly after the Big Bang.

What are some potential applications of LHC research?

The research conducted at the LHC can lead to advancements in many different fields, including medicine, technology, and energy production. For example, the technology used in the LHC could potentially be used to develop more precise medical imaging techniques and more efficient energy sources.

Are there any safety concerns surrounding the LHC?

There have been some concerns about the potential risks of operating the LHC, particularly with regards to the creation of microscopic black holes. However, multiple studies have shown that these risks are extremely low and that the LHC is safe to operate. The LHC also has strict safety protocols in place to ensure the protection of both scientists and the general public.