Could you provide me a selection rule?

In summary: Hope this helps:)In summary, these are the selection rules for transitions between levels in atomic spectra.
goodphy
Hello.

When I accessed to selection rule page in Wikipedia, I have a difficulty of how to use rules listed there.

I'm now only concering electric dipole transition so column (E1) in the table there will be my only interests. Since I need to know whether transition is possible or not between energy states of neutral Argon listed in NIST Atomic Spectra Database, I thought I only take rules for L-S coupling as NIST data is in term symbol so Argon is L-S coupling.

However, what about "Rigorous rules" in the table there? Is it also what should I take?

Please help me so that I can use the table in proper way:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I write this hoping it might in someway be helpful to you,but don't take it for granted look into these things yourself as I have actually forgotten most of the topic.
A transition between levels is possible only if it follows all these selection rules listed here(not sure what the intermediate coupling they have given there is)
i.e. for the transition to be possible it should follow
1)delta(J)=0,+/-1 , note transition from J=0 to J=0 is not allowed.
2)delta Mj=0 ,+/-1, Mj=0 to Mj=0 is not allowed
3)delta(l)=+/-1
4)delta(S)=0
5)delta(L)=0, +/-1, L=0 to L=0 transition not allowed
Also there can be transitions not following these conditions(forbidden transitions),they happen mainly when there is collisions among particles.

Likes goodphy
Daymare said:
I write this hoping it might in someway be helpful to you,but don't take it for granted look into these things yourself as I have actually forgotten most of the topic.
A transition between levels is possible only if it follows all these selection rules listed here(not sure what the intermediate coupling they have given there is)
i.e. for the transition to be possible it should follow
1)delta(J)=0,+/-1 , note transition from J=0 to J=0 is not allowed.
2)delta Mj=0 ,+/-1, Mj=0 to Mj=0 is not allowed
3)delta(l)=+/-1
4)delta(S)=0
5)delta(L)=0, +/-1, L=0 to L=0 transition not allowed
Also there can be transitions not following these conditions(forbidden transitions),they happen mainly when there is collisions among particles.

Hello. Thanks to give me comment.

Is L and S are total orbital quantum number (azimuthal quantum number) and total magnetic quantum number respectively while l is orbital quantum number for each electron state? And can you tell me what literature or article is used for suggesting these rules? I think I need very strong confidence in selection rule as it will be useful tool for my furhter research:)

Sure,here are the textbooks I followed when I had course on spectroscopy.
1)C.N Banwell Fundamentals of molecular spectrocopy
2)Modern spectroscopy,Michael J Hollas
3)Basic Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy,Michael J Hollas
4)Molecular Quantum mechanics,Peter Atkins and Ronald Friedman
You will see what I have told you about selection rules on page 48 of option (3).If you want to go little more into the details its good to look into option 4.

Likes goodphy

Related to Could you provide me a selection rule?

1. What is a selection rule?

A selection rule is a set of conditions or criteria that determines which events or processes are allowed or forbidden in a particular system. In scientific experiments, selection rules are used to determine which interactions or transitions are possible between energy states of atoms or molecules.

2. How are selection rules determined?

Selection rules are determined through theoretical calculations and experimental observations. In some cases, they can be derived from fundamental principles, such as conservation of energy and momentum. In other cases, they are determined by empirical rules based on patterns observed in experimental data.

3. Why are selection rules important in scientific research?

Selection rules are important because they help scientists understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. They also guide experimental design and data analysis, allowing researchers to focus on relevant interactions and transitions and avoid wasting time and resources on forbidden processes.

4. Can selection rules be broken?

Yes, selection rules can be broken under certain conditions. For example, in quantum mechanics, selection rules for atomic or molecular transitions can be violated in systems with very high energies or strong electric fields. However, these violations are usually rare and can provide valuable insights into the underlying physical processes.

5. How do selection rules impact our understanding of the universe?

Selection rules play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for interpreting and explaining complex phenomena. They allow scientists to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems and test those predictions through experiments. Ultimately, selection rules help us unravel the mysteries of the universe and advance our knowledge of the natural world.