Coupling to the shaft of an electric motor (different size shafts)

• Thread starter bu4ck
  • Start date
bu4ck
[Mentor Note -- thread spun off of a different thread]

Baluncore said:
You may find it easier to avoid the gear. Short splined shafts are stock items and can be purchased from PTO shaft and drive-line suppliers.

"Taper Lock" bushes are available for any diameter shaft. Google "Taper Lock".
There are several taper lock systems in different sizes available. Select a system that is bigger than either shaft to be joined. Then get two different bushes to fit the shafts.

There are also taper lock flexible couplings of different types.
Look at the taper lock HRC Couplings.
https://pineriversbearings.com.au/power-transmission/couplings/

And there are bigger, more tolerant systems.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332854007597
Hi. Could you help me with some advise on an electric shaft driven motor, the casing/shaft rods are too wide, can I get shorter ones to fit a 60v brushless motor? I’m a complete novice

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bu4ck said:
Hi. Could you help me with some advise on an electric shaft driven motor, the casing/shaft rods are too wide, can I get shorter ones to fit a 60v brushless motor? I’m a complete novice
Hi and welcome to PF. We need a lot more information about this before making any recommendations. A photo might help, showing the motor and were it's supposed to go. Some actual dimensions are needed.

Likes russ_watters

Related to Coupling to the shaft of an electric motor (different size shafts)

What are the common methods for coupling to different size shafts of an electric motor?

Common methods for coupling to different size shafts include using flexible couplings, rigid couplings, and adapters such as shaft reducers or increasers. These components help accommodate variations in shaft diameters and ensure proper alignment and torque transmission.

How do I ensure proper alignment when coupling different size shafts?

Proper alignment can be ensured by using precision alignment tools such as dial indicators, laser alignment systems, or straight edges. Misalignment can cause excessive wear, vibration, and potential failure, so it's crucial to achieve precise alignment during installation.

What factors should I consider when selecting a coupling for different size shafts?

When selecting a coupling, consider factors such as the torque requirements, shaft diameters, operating speed, misalignment tolerance, environmental conditions, and the type of load being transmitted. These factors will help determine the most suitable coupling type for your application.

Can I use a flexible coupling to connect different size shafts?

Yes, flexible couplings are often used to connect different size shafts as they can accommodate misalignment and provide some degree of flexibility in the system. They help to absorb shock loads and reduce vibration, making them a versatile choice for various applications.

What are the potential issues with coupling different size shafts?

Potential issues include misalignment, imbalance, and increased wear on the coupling and shafts. These issues can lead to premature failure, vibration, and noise. Proper selection, installation, and maintenance of the coupling can help mitigate these problems.

Back