Cross section energy dependence

In summary: Oh, I had no idea. I was throwing out a guess based on my understanding that protons repel each other, and I would think that with higher energies the cross section would increase. I assumed that the protons that didn't collide at lower energies might collide at higher energies because they are able to get closer without being pushed away as far.
kaksmet
Hey,

The hard cross-section of a 2 to 2 inelastic scattering goes as 1/E^2, where E is the center of mass energy. However, the cross-section in proton proton collisions increases with energy.
My question is; does anybody have a good explanation for this and/or a good reference where I can read about it.

Thanks
T

Physics news on Phys.org
Concerning the increasing crosssection bit, there is a nice book by Forshaw and Ross called "Pomeron something something" (sorry, forgot the full title). Alternatively check http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9503226

Hope i could help!
earth2

I'm assuming the cross section increases with energy because protons repel each other. The more energy they have the less they are deflected per time/distance.

Drakkith said:
I'm assuming the cross section increases with energy because protons repel each other. The more energy they have the less they are deflected per time/distance.

Does that even make sense on physical grounds? In any case it is not true since the cross section of pp collisions and ppbar collision is the same at high energies, so your argument breaks down.

Without being able to reproduce the full explanation, i think i remember that the increase has something to do with the "reggezation" of the gluons being exchanged in that collision...as i said i can't reproduce the argument but there should be something in the two reference i mentionened in my first posting.

earth2 said:
Does that even make sense on physical grounds? In any case it is not true since the cross section of pp collisions and ppbar collision is the same at high energies, so your argument breaks down.

Without being able to reproduce the full explanation, i think i remember that the increase has something to do with the "reggezation" of the gluons being exchanged in that collision...as i said i can't reproduce the argument but there should be something in the two reference i mentionened in my first posting.

Oh, I had no idea. I was throwing out a guess based on my understanding that protons repel each other, and I would think that with higher energies the cross section would increase. I assumed that the protons that didn't collide at lower energies might collide at higher energies because they are able to get closer without being pushed away as far. Sorry, I have a tendency to stick my nose into things I don't really know about lol.

Related to Cross section energy dependence

1. What is cross section energy dependence?

Cross section energy dependence refers to the relationship between the energy of a particle or system and the likelihood of a specific interaction or event occurring. In other words, it describes how the probability of an interaction changes as the energy of the particles involved changes.

2. How is cross section energy dependence measured?

Cross section energy dependence is typically measured through experiments that involve colliding particles at different energies and measuring the frequency of specific interactions. This data is then used to create a graph showing the relationship between energy and cross section.

3. What factors can affect cross section energy dependence?

There are several factors that can affect cross section energy dependence, including the types of particles involved, the angle at which they collide, and the presence of any external fields or forces. Additionally, the energy dependence may vary for different types of interactions, such as scattering or decay.

4. How does cross section energy dependence impact nuclear reactions?

Cross section energy dependence plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as it determines the probability of different types of interactions occurring at various energies. This information is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of nuclear systems, such as in nuclear power plants or in astrophysical environments.

5. Can cross section energy dependence be calculated theoretically?

Yes, cross section energy dependence can be calculated theoretically using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of particles and interactions at different energies. However, experimental data is still necessary to validate and improve these theoretical predictions.

Back