Current return path: Why does current return to its source

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current flow and how it relates to potential difference and returning to its source. The main point is that current must always return to its source in order to maintain balance and avoid charge buildup. This applies to both everyday static electricity and circuits. The topic of neutral grounding resistors in power transformers is also mentioned as a practical application of this concept. The conversation suggests referencing the "IEEE Green Book" for further understanding of grounding in power systems.
Methias
Hi, I've looked through some of the replies regarding this topic on this forum, but I'm still a bit hazy on the topic.

So this is my problem, why do current try to return to its source?
I'm trying to understand this problem with the premise that as long as there is a potential difference, current will flow(which I consider a quite fundamental phenomena used to describe current flow).
Does it mean that if I were to provide something that would have created a larger potential difference compared to the difference between the source, the current would not return to its source?

ps: I was thinking about neutral grounding resistors in power transformers when this thought came up.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Current is the flow of electric charge. If the current does not return to the source, then charge builds up someplace. There will be an excess + charge someplace and excess - charge elsewhere. That unbalance would cause potential differences tending to make the current want to flow backward.

If we say (a) that the net flow of charge in and out of every node every component in a circuit is zero, then that implies (b) that current must return to its source. Think about it for a while. (a) implies (b) no matter what the circuit.

Likes Elquery and jim hardy
I think you might have in your mind the question of how does the current in an Earth-return circuit know how to find the Earth electrode at the sending end.
The reason is that it is attracted to the wire all the way back. And this works right across the Atlantic.
In more strict terms, if we send an impulse, applied between the wire and Earth, it travels away from the sending end with opposite polarity on each conductor. They are 180 degrees out of phase. As the two conductors involved are of opposite polarity there is an attraction, the electric field between them taking the shortest route and guiding the Earth current to be close to the wire..

Methias said:
Does it mean that if I were to provide something that would have created a larger potential difference compared to the difference between the source, the current would not return to its source?

Anorlunda gave a good answer,
let me paraphrase it -
When you take charge out of something and don't put it back, it creates an electric field that'll try to put it back for you.
You see it every time you pull a styrofoam cup out of a stack . A few charges rub off one cup and stick to the other.
That leaves the two cups oppositely charged so they attract. That's Mother Nature trying to get the charges back where they came from.

Now that's everyday static electricity. It takes only a tiny bit of charge to make an enormous static electric field with thousands of volts.

In circuits we don't often deal with such tiny amounts of charge or such enormous fields. So we consider any source of charge as having to be continually replenished.
That's what Kirchoff is telling you - charge must get back to where it came from. Even static electricity is trying to.
Methias said:
ps: I was thinking about neutral grounding resistors in power transformers when this thought came up.

Find a copy of the "IEEE Green Book", standard for grounding of power systems. It explains grounding clearly in easy to understand language.

Related to Current return path: Why does current return to its source

1. Why does current need to return to its source?

Current always follows the path of least resistance. In order for a circuit to be completed and for electricity to flow, there must be a complete path for the current to follow. This path includes both the flow of current from a source (such as a battery) and the return of current to that same source.

2. What happens if the current does not return to its source?

If the current does not have a complete path back to its source, the circuit will be incomplete and electricity will not flow. This can result in a malfunctioning circuit or device, or in some cases, a safety hazard.

3. Is the current return path always the same as the current source?

In most cases, the current return path is the same as the current source. However, there are some circuits where the current may return through a different path, such as in a ground fault interrupter (GFI) circuit. In these cases, the current still needs a complete path back to the source in order for the circuit to function properly.

4. Does the current return path affect the flow of electricity?

Yes, the current return path is an important factor in the flow of electricity. The resistance of the return path can affect the overall resistance of the circuit, which in turn can affect the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. This is why it is important to have a complete and low-resistance return path for the current to follow.

5. Can the current return path be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the current return path can be manipulated or controlled through the use of conductive materials and components such as wires, resistors, and diodes. By manipulating the path and resistance of the return current, scientists and engineers can design and optimize circuits for various purposes and functions.