Current to voltage covertion circuit design

In summary, Nani is seeking help with designing a current to voltage converter circuit for a silicon detector that produces a current of 10pA. They have researched electronmeter amplifiers and have found an op-amp with input bias current of 1pA. However, it has been suggested to use the TL072IN op amp, but Nani is unsure of how to simulate it in Mindi or Ltspice. They need clarification on the full scale and lowest current to be measured, as well as the required accuracy. It is also important to clarify if the detector can continuously produce 10pA or if it is a maximum range.
prth0901
Hi everyone. I need small help regarding my BE project. I would like to design a current to voltage converter circuit for silicon detector, which produces current of 10pA. can anyone help me how to start please.

Best Regards,
nani

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi There Nani
Welcome to PF :)

What research have you done so far into design methods ?
We won't spoonfeed you with circuit diagrams, but if you find some circuits then you can ask questions about anything you don't understand, or improvements etc
If you are doing a BE then you must already have some ideas on how such a system operates ?

cheers
Dave

For this, look into electronmeter amplifier. They are mostly transimpedance amplifiers.

go to Analog Devices page and look for op-amp with low bias current in 200fA max. Look for application notes and study it. This is a bigger subject than you might think and it is impractical to explain in a post. Do some study and we can talk a lot more on the requirements you need.

If you have more specific question, post back. Get some knowledge first.

Hi
During the study i have found this op amp (LTC6079CGN#PBF). It has input bias current of 1pA. I am attaching my circuit diagram and link. Can some one please check and give me some suggestions (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/62514.pdf).

Regards,
Nani.

Attachments

• PHOTODIODE AMPLIFIER.png
    PHOTODIODE AMPLIFIER.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 741
1pA bias current is high for OP. He/she need to detect 10pA. The feedback resistor is in the range of 1GΩ to get 10mV from 10pA. Here are threads that I had discussion on this topic:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=577647&highlight=transimpedance+amplifier

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=580689&highlight=transimpedance+amplifier

For this low current, it is not that simple anymore. Vibration can be a big problem on top of noise, offset, drift and settling. OP has to study up electronmeter amplifier before any meaningful discussion.

Last edited:
Hi yungman. My teacher suggest me to use TL072IN op amp. Now i want to simulate this circuit in mindi or Ltspice but i couldn't able to find any predefined model. I have tried in internet, I found this link (http://www.madlabo.com/mad/edat/spice/model/opamp/Tl072.mod ).
can you please suggest some comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to clarify your first post. You said you want to detect 10pA. Input bias current of TL072 is over 65pA and offset current is high. If you truly want to read 10pA with any accuracy, you cannot use this. Not even close. You need to specify more on what are you trying to read. Specification like:

1) What is the full scale ( Maximum) current you need to read?
2) What is the lowest current you need to read?
3) What is the accuracy requirement?

You say that your detector produces a current of 10 pA. Is this a range with 10pA the max or what? Are we really talking measuring charge or current ie can the detector produce 10pA or whatever continuously?

@yungman BTW I believe it is electrometer (without the n) which was originally a type of valve.

Related to Current to voltage covertion circuit design

What is a current to voltage conversion circuit design?

A current to voltage conversion circuit design is a circuit that is used to convert an electrical current into a measurable voltage signal. This circuit is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial applications.

Why is a current to voltage conversion circuit necessary?

A current to voltage conversion circuit is necessary because many scientific experiments and industrial processes require the measurement of electrical currents. Using a conversion circuit allows for the conversion of this current into a more easily measurable voltage signal.

How does a current to voltage conversion circuit work?

A current to voltage conversion circuit typically consists of a resistor and an operational amplifier. The resistor converts the current into a voltage signal, and the operational amplifier amplifies the signal for better accuracy and measurement.

What are the key considerations when designing a current to voltage conversion circuit?

When designing a current to voltage conversion circuit, factors such as the input range, output range, accuracy, and bandwidth of the circuit must be carefully considered. The type of input signal and the desired output signal also play a significant role in the design.

What are some common applications of current to voltage conversion circuits?

Current to voltage conversion circuits are commonly used in various scientific experiments, such as measuring electrical currents in chemical reactions. They are also widely used in industrial applications, such as in sensor circuits for measuring current in electronic devices and power supplies.