Dark Matter: Light or Misunderstood?

In summary, dark matter does not participate in electromagnetic interactions and cannot be radiation. Its equation of state is different from ordinary matter or light, making it "cold" and ruling out it being made of particles like photons or neutrinos. This has already been taken into account in the search for dark matter.
excession
If this is a stupid question, just tell me.

As I understand it, even forms of pure energy can create a gravitational effect in high concentrations due to E=mc2. Would this have enough of an effect to create some of the anomalies prompting the search for DM, or has this already been taken into account?

Or, as is more likely, what have I misunderstood?

Cheers people

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It has already been taken into account.

Lay-friendly description:
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=446

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark matter does not participate in electromagnetic interactions, hence it is dark (does not emit any form of radiation that can be absorbed). Photons interact through the electromagnetic interaction, but not ordinary Coulomb interaction because they are not charged. The main http://mightylib.mit.edu/Course%20Materials/22.01/Fall%202001/photons%20part%201.pdf through which a flux of photons loses energy are:
  • Photoelectric effect
  • Compton scattering
  • Pair production

Last edited by a moderator:
excession said:
If this is a stupid question, just tell me.

As I understand it, even forms of pure energy can create a gravitational effect in high concentrations due to E=mc2. Would this have enough of an effect to create some of the anomalies prompting the search for DM, or has this already been taken into account?

Or, as is more likely, what have I misunderstood?

Cheers people

Radiation always travels in a "straight" line at the "speed of light." It cannot remain in one place, it disperses if not contained. Dark matter isn't contained and doesn't disperse, so it can't be radiation.

Cheers for that, makes a bit more sense now.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

One other thing is that you can model different types of matter by their what's called an "equation of state". Basically it's how much pressure that you get if you squeeze it, and that results in a number called w. For ordinary matter, w=0, which means that the pressure is inversely proportional to the volume. For light, w=1/3, which means that if you squeeze it, then the pressure goes up faster than the inverse of the volume.

One way of thinking about it, is that if you compress gas, it gets hot, when something gets hot, the number of photons it produces goes up very, very quickly.

So you put all of this into your computer program, you figure out the lumpiness factor, and you find out that if dark matter was something like photons, then the universe would be pretty smooth. That rules out dark matter not only being photons, but it also means that it's not a particle like weird neutrinos or anything else "hot." Whatever dark matter is, it's "cold."

FAQ: Dark Matter: Light or Misunderstood?

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up around 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible and difficult to detect.

2. How do we know dark matter exists?

We know dark matter exists because of its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as stars and galaxies. It also explains discrepancies in the rotational speeds of galaxies and the bending of light in gravitational lensing.

3. Is dark matter the same as black holes?

No, dark matter and black holes are different. Black holes are collapsed stars with extremely strong gravitational pull, while dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light.

4. Can we see dark matter?

No, dark matter is invisible and does not interact with light, so we cannot see it through telescopes or other traditional means of observation.

5. What is the current understanding of dark matter?

The current understanding is that dark matter is made up of particles that are different from the particles that make up visible matter. These particles are still being researched and studied by scientists, and the exact nature of dark matter is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.