Dark matter vs. modified gravity?

In summary, proponents of modified gravity and dark matter continue to generate papers, but mainstream science still thinks dark matter is the most likely explanation.
alemsalem
what's the status of that?
also why not just look for two systems that have the same visible distribution but with a different dark matter content?

Space news on Phys.org
alemsalem said:
what's the status of that?
also why not just look for two systems that have the same visible distribution but with a different dark matter content?
As far as I'm concerned, it was basically solved with the detailed observation of the Cosmic Microwave Background by the WMAP satellite, which is easily explained by dark matter, but not so easy to explain by modified gravity.

Then, more recently, this observation came along that provides a much more visual demonstration, placing yet another nail in the coffin of modified gravity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster

I really like this blog post describing it:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2006/08/21/dark-matter-exists/

I just replied to another thread about this!

There are certainly still proponents of modified gravity. Milgrom, Benkenstein and Moffat are still generating papers and there are quite a number of new adherents to the ideas (McGaugh, Scarpa, etc). That doesn't mean that "consensus" is pointing towards dark matter - in fact, I think it's ALWAYS pointed toward dark matter. None of these modifications have taken a strong hold in main stream science. On the other hand, I also don't think they are yet shunned as bad science or even worse, pseudoscience.

On top of all of that, there are some folks that proclaim BOTH modified gravity and dark matter. I always thought that was the beauty of modified gravity - no need for this very mysterious, never been directly detected material. But needing to break down Newtonian physics at large scale (and some would say it would also break GR) AND magic matter? Yeah, let's just go with the one that explains it all!

FAQ: Dark matter vs. modified gravity?

1. What is dark matter and how does it differ from modified gravity?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that is thought to make up a significant portion of the total mass of the universe. It is called "dark" because it does not interact with light and cannot be directly observed. In contrast, modified gravity is a theory that suggests gravity behaves differently on large scales than what is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How do scientists study dark matter and modified gravity?

Scientists study dark matter and modified gravity through various methods, including observations of the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and simulations of the evolution of the universe. These methods help to understand the effects of dark matter and modified gravity on the structure and behavior of the universe.

3. Which theory is currently accepted by the scientific community?

The theory of dark matter is currently accepted by the scientific community as the leading explanation for the observed gravitational effects in the universe. However, modified gravity is still being studied and researched, and there is ongoing debate and research on which theory is the most accurate.

4. What evidence supports the existence of dark matter?

There is a significant amount of evidence supporting the existence of dark matter, including observations of the rotation of galaxies, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the cosmic microwave background. These observations cannot be explained by the known forms of matter and can only be explained by the presence of dark matter.

5. Can dark matter and modified gravity coexist?

Yes, it is possible for dark matter and modified gravity to coexist. In fact, some theories suggest that modified gravity may be a better explanation for the observed effects in the universe than dark matter. However, more research and evidence are needed to fully understand the relationship between these two theories.