Defining a Family of Observers: Textbook Reference Needed

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
In summary, Wald defines a family of observers as a unit timelike vector field v^a. The orientation of the measuring apparatus is characterized by the (e_{0 })^{a}'s.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Does anyone have a textbook reference for the rigorous definition of a family of observers? Wald uses the term a lot but never actually defines it i.e. is it a congruence of unit time - like world lines defined on a proper open subset of the space - time or is it a congruence defined over the entire space - time or does it even have to be a congruence at all (i.e. can two worldlines in the family intersect)? To this entire family we give an orthonormal frame field that is supposed to characterize how the measuring apparatuses of each observer is oriented but what is the rigorous link between the mathematical and physical definition here (i.e. what constitutes the measuring apparatuses - are they just a physical way of characterizing the orientation of the orthonormal frame field?). I believe MTW actually gives proper definitions of these things but the book is huge I got lost trying to find anything pertinent so I'm hoping someone else possibly knows the relevant sections or has other texts to look at. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooooh I must have missed it; thanks a ton robphy! Also can you explain the part about measuring apparatuses to me? Is the orientation of the measuring apparatus carried by an observer in the family at a point in his world line just a physical way of characterizing the orientation of the orthonormal triad making up the spatial part of the basis for the tangent space at that point in the world line of said observer? Thanks a lot for the de Felice link that one looks like it will be quite helpful!

A measuring apparatus is an orthonormal frame: a set of 3 measuring rods 1 meter long, oriented at right angles to each other, combined with a clock that ticks once every (1 m/c) seconds.

Ben Niehoff said:
A measuring apparatus is an orthonormal frame: a set of 3 measuring rods 1 meter long, oriented at right angles to each other, combined with a clock that ticks once every (1 m/c) seconds.
Ok that makes sense but is there a reason why Wald only refers to the 3 meter sticks when talking about the orientation of the apparatus? He attributes to every point on the worldline of the observer an orthonormal basis [itex](e_{\alpha })^{a}[/itex] and says [itex](e_{0 })^{a}[/itex] is the unit tangent vector to the world line which corresponds to your statement about the ticking clock and then says the [itex](e_{i })^{a}[/itex]'s characterize the orientation of the apparatus held by the observer, which it would seem corresponds to the orientation of the 3 meter sticks. Is he just excluding the time - like basis vector from the statement about orientation of the apparatus because the orientation of this is already fixed along the world line of the observer (future - pointing)? Thanks ben!

EDIT: The relevant page I got this from in the book was 342 if you are interested. Cheers!

Last edited:

Related to Defining a Family of Observers: Textbook Reference Needed

1. What is a family of observers?

A family of observers refers to a group of individuals who are studying a particular subject or phenomenon. In the context of defining a family of observers, it typically refers to a group of scientists or researchers who are observing and studying a specific topic or area of study.

2. How is a family of observers defined?

A family of observers is typically defined as a group of individuals who share a common interest or goal in their observations and research. They may come from different backgrounds and disciplines, but they are united in their pursuit of understanding a particular subject.

3. Why is it important to define a family of observers?

Defining a family of observers helps to establish a common understanding and framework for conducting research and analyzing data. It also allows for collaboration and exchange of ideas among the members of the family, leading to a more comprehensive and well-rounded understanding of the subject being studied.

4. What are some examples of a family of observers?

Examples of a family of observers could include a group of scientists studying climate change, a team of researchers investigating the effects of a new medication, or a network of scholars examining a historical event. Essentially, any group of individuals with a shared interest in a particular subject could be considered a family of observers.

5. Is there a specific textbook reference for defining a family of observers?

While there may not be a specific textbook reference for defining a family of observers, many textbooks on research methodology or a specific subject area may discuss the concept and provide examples. It may also be helpful to consult scholarly articles or papers on the topic for further insight and understanding.