Defining scalar product from norm

In summary, the Euclidean norm is defined as |v|2= g(v,v), where g is a nondegenerate, positive definite, symmetric bilinear form. To make it backwards, the norm must have properties such as g(v,w) = (|v+w|2 - |v|2 - |w|2)/2 being a positive definite, symmetric bilinear form. The parallelogram identity is (1/2)(|x+y|^2+|x-y|^2)=|x|^2+|y|^2. However, this is not the form of an inner product over other fields or with different conjugations. The proof for this is available online and in libraries.
mma
Euclidean norm is defined usually as|v|2= g(v,v), where g is a nondegenerate, positive definite, symmetric bilinear form. But how can make it backwards? What properties must norm have that g(v,w) = (|v+w|2 - |v|2 - |w|2)/2 be a positive definite, symmetric bilinear form?

Physics news on Phys.org
The parrallelogram identity
(1/2)(|x+y|^2+|x-y|^2)=|x|^2+|y|^2
Watch out
(1/2)(|v+w|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)
is not the form of an inner product over other fields or with different conjugations
for example the complex inner product is
<v|w>=(1/2)(|v+w|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)+(i/2)(|v+iw|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)
where i*i=-1

Cool! Thanks! Now I see that this is a theorem of von Neumann and Jordan. Is the proof very long? I haven't found it anywhere, only remarks that it is complicated enough. Do you know if it is available somewhere online?

If you have access tohttp://www.jstor.org (perhaps from a school of library) you can access these

A Characterization of Inner Product Spaces
Neil Falkner
The American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 100, No. 3 (Mar., 1993), pp. 246-249 (article consists of 4 pages)
Published by: Mathematical Association of America

On Inner Products in Linear, Metric Spaces
P. Jordan and J. V. Neumann
The Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, Vol. 36, No. 3 (Jul., 1935), pp. 719-723 (article consists of 5 pages)
Published by: Annals of Mathematics

or you could track down hardcopy at a univercity library.

The proof is a few pages, you may be able to do it yourself. Here is a start
4<x|y>+4<z|y>=2|x+y|^2+2|z+y|-2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2
=|x+2y+z|^2+|x+y|^2-4|y|^2
=4<x+z|y>

Homogeneity is harder, it is obvious that
<r x|y>=r <x|y>
when r is rational
when r is real more is needed (like Cauchy-Swartz)

Thank you!

lurflurf said:
|x+2y+z|^2+|x+y|^2-4|y|^2
=4<x+z|y>

Sorry, but this seems false (subststitute for example y=z=0, x<>0).

I made a derivation, perhaps isn't too elegant, but I hope that good:

[tex]4<x|y>+4<z|y>[/tex] applying the defiition of scalar product:

[tex]=2|x+y|^2+2|z+y|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to (x+y) and (z+y):

[tex]= |x+2y+z|^2 + |x-z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to (x+y+z) and (y):

[tex]= 2|x+y+z|^2 - |x+z|^2 + 2|y|^2 + |x-z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to x and z:

[tex]= 2|x+y+z|^2 - |x+z|^2 + 2|y|^2 + 2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2 - |x+z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex]

[tex]=2|x+y+z|^2-2|x+z|^2-2|y|^2[/tex] applying the defiition of scalar product:

[tex]=4<x+z|y>[/tex]

Related to Defining scalar product from norm

1. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product, also known as dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a single scalar value. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the angle between two vectors or the projection of one vector onto another.

2. How is a scalar product defined from a norm?

A norm is a mathematical function that assigns a magnitude or length to a vector. The scalar product is defined as the product of the norms of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In mathematical notation, it can be represented as a dot product: a · b = ||a|| ||b|| cosθ.

3. What are the properties of scalar product?

Some of the properties of scalar product include commutativity (a · b = b · a), distributivity (a · (b + c) = a · b + a · c), and associativity (k(a · b) = (ka) · b = a · (kb)), where a, b, and c are vectors and k is a scalar value. It also follows the law of cosines: ||a - b||2 = ||a||2 + ||b||2 - 2||a|| ||b|| cosθ.

4. How is scalar product used in real-life applications?

Scalar product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work, torque, and power. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects. In economics, scalar product is used to calculate the marginal rate of substitution, which measures the rate at which a consumer is willing to trade one good for another.

5. Can scalar product be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, scalar product can be extended to higher dimensions using the same definition. In three-dimensional space, it is represented as the sum of the products of the corresponding components of two vectors: a · b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3. It can also be extended to n-dimensional space, where n is any positive integer.