Definition of a Manifold

littlemathquark
TL;DR Summary
Why do we need second countable and Hausdorff conditions for manifold definition?
Why do we need second countable and Hausdorff conditions for manifold definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
littlemathquark said:
TL;DR Summary: Why do we need second countable and Hausdorff conditions for manifold definition?

My first thought was: We need a reasonable partition of unity in which the sums are indexed by the natural numbers. This would probably require even normal topologies. The two specific properties (second accountability aka complete separability and Hausdorff) both occur in Urysohn's metrization theorem:
One of the first widely recognized metrization theorems was Urysohn's metrization theorem. This states that every Hausdorff second-countable regular space is metrizable.
However, ...
It follows that every such space is completely normal as well as paracompact.
... and here we are, back at the partition of unity.

Both are important tools we do not want to lose.

Likes dextercioby
"Manifold" is improper usage. One has "topological manifolds" and a very important subset of all of these, the "complex or real differential manifolds".

Likes fresh_42
dextercioby said:
"Manifold" is improper usage. One has "topological manifolds" and a very important subset of all of these, the "complex or real differential manifolds".
Indeed. I was so used to reading Riemannian and even smooth, nice charts, metrics, and spheres that I almost forgot the topological aspect. The two concepts of Urysohn are somehow the minimum we want to have.

littlemathquark said:
TL;DR Summary: Why do we need second countable and Hausdorff conditions for manifold definition?

That is a strange question! Why do you need the other conditions in the definition of a manifold? You can study whatever objects you want, why is a question only you can answer. Some people do look at non Hausdorff manifolds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hausdorff_manifold