Derivative of Action Integral Equals Generalized Momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivative of the action S with respect to the generalized coordinate q(tf). It is stated that the textbook solution is equal to the generalized momentum p(tf). The approach taken involves taking the partial derivative of both sides and using the fact that qi = 0. The final solution is given as p(tf) - p(ti), which is a momentum quantity. It is noted that this may not always be the case, as p(ti) and q(ti) could potentially be non-zero due to a change of coordinates.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

I need to find the partial derivative of the action S with respect to the generalized coordinate q(tf) and according to my textbook, it should equal the generalized momentum p(tf). How can I derive this?

Homework Equations

S = integral of L dt, with boundary ti to tf. (ti and tf are initial and final times)
qi = 0 (initial generalized coordinate)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the partial derivative of both sides with respect to the generalized coordinate q, so the right side will have partial L partial q (which is equal to (p dot)) so I'm left with integral of (p dot) dt, but this is simple p(tf) - p(ti). Since qi = 0, p(ti) = 0. Hence partial S partial q(tf) = p(tf).

Is this a possible solution? I have also uploaded my solution. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can stop and declare victory as soon as you get to ##p(t_f)-p(t_i)##. That's a momentum quantity, which is all that's needed.

It is not necessarily the case that ##p(t_i)=0## or that ##q(t_i)=0##. Even if they were, a change of coordinates such as a shift of origin and/or a velocity boost could render them nonzero.

FAQ: Derivative of Action Integral Equals Generalized Momentum?

What is the action integral?

The action integral is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the motion of a system over a period of time. It is defined as the integral of a Lagrangian function, which represents the total energy of the system.

What is the importance of the derivative of the action integral?

The derivative of the action integral, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is important because it allows us to determine the equations of motion for a system. These equations can then be solved to predict the future behavior of the system.

How is the derivative of the action integral calculated?

The derivative of the action integral is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to each variable in the system. This results in a set of differential equations that describe the motion of the system.

What is the relationship between the action integral and the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that a system will take the path of least action, meaning the path that minimizes the action integral. This relationship allows us to use the action integral to determine the path a system will take over time.

Can the derivative of the action integral be used in all physical systems?

The derivative of the action integral can be used in any system that can be described by a Lagrangian function. This includes classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. However, it may not be applicable in certain systems, such as those that exhibit chaotic behavior.

Back