Deriving Torque=(Force)(Distance)

• Thread starter Cyrus Hafezparast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation τ = Fd and how it can be derived using different formulas such as x=θr, v=ωr, and a=r(dθ/dt). However, there seems to be some confusion and disagreement about the correct formula for torque, with some sources stating that torque is defined as the cross product of the moment arm and force vectors, while others suggest it can be derived through the equation Torque = I (rotational acceleration). The conversation also addresses a potential error in the original equation and offers corrections.
Cyrus Hafezparast
So there was a really old thread about this, but I don't think the matter was ever really resolved, which is why I'm making this thread now.

I'm trying to derive the equation τ = Fd but I've run into a bit of trouble. I started with x=θr where x is the arclength on a circle (since any point on a rotating rigid body is going to follow a circular path) and then, from that, v=ωr and differentiating again to a=r(dθ/dt) . Now multiple by m on both sides and you have
ma=rm(dθ/dt)
∴F=r τ [Perhaps this is the source of my error, but I'm taking f=ma as general and applying it to mass times angular acceleration to give angular force (Torque)]
Which is not what we wanted at all!

(PS I'm new to the forum, I made an account just for this question, so I realize that my formatting needs work, I couldn't easily see how to write the derivative nicely as a fraction like I've seen in other threads, I couldn't decide whether to write my working line by line or not etc etc, please be nice XD I also didn't know which prefix to use, but where I live there's no calculus in our high school physics course and most people in my classes aren't really questioning to this extent, so I thought I'd put Intermediate)

Physics news on Phys.org
I tend to think about the cross product of the moment arm and force vectors as the definition of torque rather than something that can be derived.

Dr. Courtney said:
I tend to think about the cross product of the moment arm and force vectors as the definition of torque rather than something that can be derived.
Right, I see that and its the answer that almost every source I've seen gives, but it seems like there should be some justification? Also, if you could point out where I went wrong that would put my mind at rest as well.

The analogy to Newton's 2nd for rotational motion is

Torque = I (rotational acceleration)

NOT

Torque = m (rotational velocity)

which is what your "derivation" seems to suggest.

Cyrus Hafezparast said:
v=ωr and differentiating again to a=r(dθ/dt)

a=r(dθ/dt) is not the time derivative of v=ωr. Both of the right hand sides are equal to each other, but the left hand sides are not.

Remember: ω simply is (dθ/dt).

spamanon said:
a=r(dθ/dt) is not the time derivative of v=ωr. Both of the right hand sides are equal to each other, but the left hand sides are not.

Remember: ω simply is (dθ/dt).
a=r(dθ/dt) These equation is not correct one .If it was written as a second derivative it becomes true it seems for me it is a typing error.

Related to Deriving Torque=(Force)(Distance)

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied.

How do you derive the equation for torque?

The equation for torque, T = F x d, is derived from the concept of rotational equilibrium, which states that the sum of all torques acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to remain at rest or in a state of constant rotation.

What units is torque measured in?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system, or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the US customary system.

What is the significance of the distance in the torque equation?

The distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied is important because it determines the lever arm of the force, which is the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the line of action of the force. The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque.

How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of the object. This relationship is described by the equation T = I x α, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration.