Deriving Velocity and Normal Reaction in a Vertical Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle P moving in a vertical circle along the inner surface of a hollow sphere with a horizontal velocity u. It is projected from the lowest point of the sphere and at an angle T, the velocity is v and the normal reaction is R. The expressions for v and R are v=[u^2-2ga(1+cos T)]^1/2 and R=mu^2/a - mg(2+3cos T), respectively. The formula for cos T is (u^2-2ga)/3ga. If the particle leaves the sphere at point A and meets it again at point B, where AM is a diameter and OA makes an angle of 45 degrees, the angle
jiboom
2) a particle P of mass m moves in a vertical circle along the smooth inner surface of a fixed hollow sphere of internal radius a and centre O,the plane of the circle passing through O. The particle is projected from the lowest point of the sphere with a horizontal velocity u. when OP makes an angle T with the upward vertical,the velocity of the particle is v and the normal reaction between the particle and the sphere is R.Find expressions for v and R...done
v=[u^2-2ga(1+cos T)]^1/2 R=mu^2/a - mg(2+3cos T)
show if u^2,5ga the particle leaves the sphere where

cos T=(u^2-2ga)/3ga
if the particle leaves the sphere at a point A and its trajectory meets the sphere again at a point B such that AM is a diameter of the sphere show OA makes an angle of 45

from first part i have

cos T=(u^2-2ga)/3ga

v^2=[u^2-2ga(1+cos T)]

so when particle leaves sphere i get v^2=agcosT

now I am saying the angle of projection is equal to angle OP makes with upwards vertical,so from P to O we have

horizontal distance=asinT
vertical distance=acosT

for the projection

x=-tvcosT
y=tvsinT-gt^2/2

when x=-asinT => t=a(tanT)/v
so

-acosT=atanTsinT-g/2[(atanT)^2/(v^2)]
-acosT=atanTsinT-g/2[(atanT)^2/(agcosT)]
-2=2tan^2T-tan^2Tsec^2T
-2=tan^2T(2-sec^2T)
-2=tan^2T(2-1-tan^2T)
tan^4T-tan^2T-2=0
(tan^2T-2)(tan^2+1)=0

which is close as I am after tan T=1. is there an obvious error in my working?i hoping I am on right tracks but have dropped a sign somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone able to spot my error here?

Related to Deriving Velocity and Normal Reaction in a Vertical Circular Motion

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant.

What are some examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion include a Ferris wheel, a spinning top, and a satellite orbiting around a planet.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes at different points along the circular path.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path and is always directed towards the center of the circle. It is necessary for an object to continue moving in circular motion.

How do you calculate the centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.