Diff Eqs: can't get a reasonable answer

In summary: You are correct that in part (a), the solution is valid for all values of a and b as long as they are not equal. However, in part (b), if a = b, the solution will not work because the partial fraction decomposition used is not valid. To solve part (b), you will need to use a different method, such as a substitution. Domains do become very important when working with differential equations, as they can affect the validity of certain methods and solutions. It is always important to consider the domain of the original problem and any intermediate steps when solving a differential equation.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

C1epJzI.png

Imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/C1epJzI.png

My issues arise in part (b) but cause me to doubt my solution to part (a) as well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = k(a-x)(b-x)[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} dx = k \int dt[/tex]

Use partial fraction decomposition on LHS

[tex]\frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} = \frac{A}{a-x}+\frac{B}{b-x}[/tex]

[tex]A(b-x) + B(a-x) = 1[/tex]

Let x = b

[tex]B(a-b) = 1 \ \ B = \frac{1}{a-b}[/tex]

Let x = a

[tex]A(b-a) = 1 \ \ A = \frac{1}{b-a} = \frac{-1}{a-b}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} dx = \int \frac{1}{(a-b)(b-x))} - \frac{1}{(a-b)(a-x)} dx[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{a-b} \left[ -\ln{|b-x|} + \ln{|a-x|} \right] = \frac{1}{a-b} \ln{\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|}} = k(t+C)[/tex]

[tex]\ln{\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|}} = (a-b)k(t+C)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|} = e^{(a-b)kC}e^{(a-b)kt}[/tex]

Now let's skip a few steps and get

[tex]\frac{a-x}{b-x} = Ke^{(a-b)kt}[/tex]

already here I can see problems with part (b), as when a = b, [itex]\frac{a-x}{b-x} = K[/itex]

But if we carry on with some algebra from the last step I arrive at

[tex]x(t) = \frac{bKe^{(a-b)kt}-a}{Ke^{(a-b)kt}-1}[/tex]

and if x(0) = 0 then

[tex]K = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

and then

[tex]x(t) = \frac{a(e^{(a-b)kt}-1)}{\frac{a}{b}e^{(a-b)kt}-1}[/tex]

Now, if a = b x(t) = 0...

Where have I gone wrong?

edit: or is my answer to part (a) correct, and I need to return to the very beginning of the sequence and assume a = b in order to solve (b), thus, the solution to part (a) only holding for the condition that [itex]a \neq b[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
edit: or is my answer to part (a) correct, and I need to return to the very beginning of the sequence and assume a = b in order to solve (b), thus, the solution to part (a) only holding for the condition that [itex]a \neq b[/itex]?

I didn't go through all of the algebra, but your solution to (a) looks ok. If ##a=b##, the partial fraction decomposition is not valid, but you can instead integrate ##1/(a-x)^2## directly. The solution will have a different functional form involving a reciprocal of ##t## rather than an exponential function.

Likes kostoglotov
fzero said:
I didn't go through all of the algebra, but your solution to (a) looks ok. If ##a=b##, the partial fraction decomposition is not valid, but you can instead integrate ##1/(a-x)^2## directly. The solution will have a different functional form involving a reciprocal of ##t## rather than an exponential function.

Thanks, I'm still trying to get an intuitive handle on diff eqs. That's why I was getting frustrated. Because my technical skills in everything required in this problem are fine, so not being able to find a mistake, I thought maybe I'd missed something big at the beginning...which it turns out I did I guess.

Domains become really important to consider when modelling with diff eqs then right?

kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

C1epJzI.png

Imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/C1epJzI.png

My issues arise in part (b) but cause me to doubt my solution to part (a) as well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = k(a-x)(b-x)[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} dx = k \int dt[/tex]

Use partial fraction decomposition on LHS

[tex]\frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} = \frac{A}{a-x}+\frac{B}{b-x}[/tex]

[tex]A(b-x) + B(a-x) = 1[/tex]

Let x = b

[tex]B(a-b) = 1 \ \ B = \frac{1}{a-b}[/tex]

Let x = a

[tex]A(b-a) = 1 \ \ A = \frac{1}{b-a} = \frac{-1}{a-b}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{(a-x)(b-x)} dx = \int \frac{1}{(a-b)(b-x))} - \frac{1}{(a-b)(a-x)} dx[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{a-b} \left[ -\ln{|b-x|} + \ln{|a-x|} \right] = \frac{1}{a-b} \ln{\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|}} = k(t+C)[/tex]

[tex]\ln{\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|}} = (a-b)k(t+C)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{|a-x|}{|b-x|} = e^{(a-b)kC}e^{(a-b)kt}[/tex]

Now let's skip a few steps and get

[tex]\frac{a-x}{b-x} = Ke^{(a-b)kt}[/tex]

already here I can see problems with part (b), as when a = b, [itex]\frac{a-x}{b-x} = K[/itex]

But if we carry on with some algebra from the last step I arrive at

[tex]x(t) = \frac{bKe^{(a-b)kt}-a}{Ke^{(a-b)kt}-1}[/tex]

and if x(0) = 0 then

[tex]K = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

and then

[tex]x(t) = \frac{a(e^{(a-b)kt}-1)}{\frac{a}{b}e^{(a-b)kt}-1}[/tex]

Now, if a = b x(t) = 0...

Where have I gone wrong?

You have gone wrong putting ##a = b## in your ##x(t)## formula because you will have the dreaded (and illegal) form ##0/0##. Either you need to put ##a = b## before solving the DE, or else you need to look at ##\lim_{b \to a} x(t)## after you have solved it. When you do it the latter way you do not get ##x(t) = 0##.

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov
kostoglotov said:
Thanks, I'm still trying to get an intuitive handle on diff eqs. That's why I was getting frustrated. Because my technical skills in everything required in this problem are fine, so not being able to find a mistake, I thought maybe I'd missed something big at the beginning...which it turns out I did I guess.

Domains become really important to consider when modelling with diff eqs then right?

Kostoglotov,
I have arrived at your same solution. Partial fractions are still valid since we are asssuming a does not equal b in part a. Try letting a=b and integrating just using a substitution for part b. It wouldn't make sense to let a=b with the equation just derived since x(t)= 0 for all t.

Edit: Ahh Ray beat me to the punch. I second that, re do from the beginning letting a=b

Likes kostoglotov
If you go back to your equations for A and B you already see it's trouble if a = b.

In fact no one would ask you to expand 1/(x - a)2 as a partial fraction - there is no way to make it identical to any constant divided by (x - a).

kostoglotov said:

The domain is always important. Consider the homogeneous Cauchy-Euler equation:

$$ax^2y'' + bxy' + cy = 0$$

In standard form:

$$y'' + \frac{b}{a x} y' + \frac{c}{a x^2}y = 0$$

##x = 0## would be a regular singular point because the solution may be undefined at ##x = 0##. We would then need to seek solutions for ##x > 0## and ##x < 0## individually.

To derive a solution ##\forall x \neq 0##, then the absolute value would be required.

Likes kostoglotov

Related to Diff Eqs: can't get a reasonable answer

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. Why is it important to study differential equations?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically describe and analyze complex systems, such as those found in physics, engineering, and economics. They also have many real-world applications, including predicting future outcomes and solving optimization problems.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve functions of one independent variable, while PDEs involve functions of multiple independent variables. SDEs take into account random factors in the system.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. In some cases, a differential equation may not have an analytical solution and numerical methods must be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics, among others. Differential equations also play a crucial role in developing computer and technology systems, such as image and signal processing algorithms.