Difference between distance in physics and math

In summary, the math teacher said that the shortest distance between two points is the distance traveled. He clarified that this isn't always the case, for example when dealing with displacement. When dealing with distances on a sphere, Pythagoras' theorem must not be used.
Arif Setiawan
Hai guys.. Today I've some discussion with math teacher. He wrote a question for his student about displacement. (Somehow A boat go to west 3 km, then move to north 4km. How is distance between A to the end?)
In my opinion, that question better stated as "How is displacement". But in math perspective he said that shortest path is distance. Anybody can make this clear or giving some clues?
Thanks before

Physics news on Phys.org
Arif Setiawan said:
In my opinion, that que astion better stated as "How is displacement".
If he wanted to ask a question to which the correct answer is "5 km", then he could not ask for "the displacement" because the only correct answer to that involves both a magnitude and a direction. He could ask for "the magnitude of the displacement from A" but that is exactly the same as asking for the distance of the end point from A.

a "distance" measure between two points always implies a straight-line measure, unless otherwise indicated

Likes Arif Setiawan
NascentOxygen said:
If he wanted to ask a question to which the correct answer is "5 km", then he could not ask for "the displacement" because the only correct answer to that involves both a magnitude and a direction. He could ask for "the magnitude of the displacement from A" but that is exactly the same as asking the distance of the end point from A.

a "distance" measure between two points always implies a straight-line measure, unless otherwise indicated
I get your point. In math, expected answer just magnitude. So, I think better term is "distance" as like my math teacher said. Thanks in advance

I don't think he'd be mentioning directions if it were just the distance traveled, so I think he means the distance between point A to the end point. That's the usual format of the questions, otherwise they would have asked "what is the distanced traveled" in which the answer doesn't require much.
What you should do is ask the teacher to clarify the language they use. What do they mean about distance for example.
Usually the accepted terminology is this:
Distance - difference between point A and B.
Displacement - difference between point A and B and angle (if not told in respect to something, specify an axis you measure the angle from)
Distance traveled - the real distance in the route, not the shortest.

Let's make this a little more interesting.
Since the displacement occurs on a sphere, Pythagoras' theorem, C^2=A^2+B^2, must not be used.
Instead, cos(C/R) = cos(A/R) cos(B/R) with R the radius of Earth. Thus C=4.99999987 km.
1 thickness of a hair less than 5 km. :-)

Likes DarkBabylon

FAQ: Difference between distance in physics and math

1. What is the difference between distance in physics and math?

In physics, distance is defined as the total length traveled by an object, taking into account any changes in direction. In math, distance is simply the numerical value between two points on a number line or coordinate plane.

2. How is distance measured in physics and math?

In physics, distance is measured using physical units such as meters, kilometers, or miles. In math, distance is measured using units on a number line or coordinate plane, such as inches, centimeters, or degrees.

3. Can distance be negative in physics and math?

In physics, distance can be negative if an object's motion is in the opposite direction of a reference point. In math, distance is always positive because it is only measured in terms of magnitude.

4. Is the concept of distance the same in physics and math?

While the basic concept of distance is the same in both physics and math, the way it is applied and calculated may differ. In physics, distance is often used in conjunction with other variables such as time and velocity, while in math it is typically used in geometric and algebraic equations.

5. How does the understanding of distance in physics and math impact real-life situations?

In physics, understanding distance is crucial in analyzing the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. In math, distance is used in a variety of real-life situations such as measuring distances on a map, calculating travel time, and determining the size of objects in a photograph.