Differential equations and law of cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in determining the time of death of a homicide victim based on their body temperature. The conversation covers the use of a differential equation and a constant to determine the temperature at different times. It is noted that the initial temperature value must be assumed, and the conversation also mentions the importance of providing a reason for this assumption.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

A homicide victim is found to have a temperature of 31°C at the stroke of midnight. At 1:00AM his temperature dropped to 29°C. Assuming that the temperature of the room stays at 20°C, when did the murder take place?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a problem in how to solve for the constants and variables instead of setting up the problem. By noticing that:

dT/dt = -k(T-N) (where N is the lowest temperature value and T the temperature)

We obtain a solution to the differential equation which is shown below:

T(t) = 20 + (T0 - 20)e-kt

And with this result, we can label the time 12.00AM as h and 1.00AM as h+1:

T(h) = 20 + (T0-20)e-kt = 31
T(h+1) = 20 + (T0-20)e-k(t+1) = 29

With clearing these two expressions (dividing them), we obtain that the value of the constant k is:

k ≈ 0.2007

However, now I can't work out anything else with having the value of the constant. I can't clear neither for T0 (the temperature at the beginning) nor k (the constant). I've dealt with a similar problem but in this case the initial temperature was given so the problem could be worked out. However, how can we proceed in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
With the constant k, you now have an equation for the temperature as a function of time.
What is the temperature of a freshly dead person?

Simon Bridge said:
With the constant k, you now have an equation for the temperature as a function of time.
What is the temperature of a freshly dead person?
I'm guessing 37.5 haha. Would this be fair enough? Now i can find To.

You could just take a wild guess ... or you could look up "human body temperature".

IRL: problems do not come with every single value you need written down for you - you have to learn to go look for the them.

Likes 1 person
fogvajarash said:
I'm guessing 37.5 haha. Would this be fair enough? Now i can find To.

Simon Bridge said:
You could just take a wild guess ... or you could look up "human body temperature".

IRL: problems do not come with every single value you need written down for you - you have to learn to go look for the them.

Isn't that pretty close for ##^\circ C##?

Thank you very much! I never noticed that we could just have assumed the initial value of the temperature (I completely forgot about that fact).

LCKurtz said:
Isn't that pretty close for ##\small ^\circ C##?
... yes probably - no units were given and nor was the origin of the number provided.

Human mean body temp is usually quoted as 98.6F or 37.0C.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001982.htm
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/LenaWong.shtml

This is where you have to show your working to get the marks (or provide a citation if you want to get published.) so I think it is a fair criticism.
It could just have been pulled out of the air and accidentally come close in some units.

fogvajarash said:
Thank you very much! I never noticed that we could just have assumed the initial value of the temperature (I completely forgot about that fact).

No worries - technically you should provide a reason for your assumption.
i.e. if the person died of a fever, you would not assume normal body temp.
You could also have used the range of body-temps, and ended up with a range of time-of-death values - just like they do on CSI :)

Related to Differential equations and law of cooling

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to model and predict how a system will change over time.

2. What is the law of cooling?

The law of cooling is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which an object cools down to its surroundings. It states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between the temperature of the object and the temperature of its surroundings.

3. How are differential equations used in the law of cooling?

Differential equations are used in the law of cooling to model and predict the temperature of an object as it cools down. By using the derivative of temperature, we can calculate the rate at which the object is cooling and how long it will take to reach a certain temperature.

4. What are the applications of differential equations and the law of cooling?

Differential equations and the law of cooling have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve temperature changes, such as cooling systems, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the law of cooling?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the law of cooling, such as the cooling of a cup of hot coffee, the cooling of a heated room, and the cooling of a hot pan after it is removed from the stove. It is also used in industries such as food preservation, where the rate at which food cools down affects its quality and safety.