Dimensional Motion Homework: Find Displacement, Speed, Velocity

• Thread starter innightmare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the driver drives 20.0m/s south for 3.0min, then turns west and travels at 25.0m/s for 2.0min and finally travels northwest at 30.0m/s for 1.00min. For this 6.00 min trip, find:a) the total vector displacementb) the average speedc) the average velocity
innightmare

Homework Statement

A motorists drives south at 20.0 m/s for 3.0min, then turns west and travels at 25.0m/s for 2.0min and finally travels northwest at 30.0m/s for 1.00min. For this 6.00 min trip, find:
a)the total vector displacement
b) the average speed
c)the average velocity
Let the positive x-axis point east

Homework Equations

v=deltavectorR/delta-t
vector-v=d-vectorR/dt=dx/dt(i)+dy/dt(j)
vectorR=vectorR(i)+vector-velocity(t)+1/2vector-at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram, to make the problem clearer. I think t=6min xi=25.om/s. But then I have two y-components

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you approach part a) ?

its displacement vector: deltavectorR=vectorR(f)-vectorR(i)

But I don't know how to go about the final and initial displacement. I am confused

innightmare said:
its displacement vector: deltavectorR=vectorR(f)-vectorR(i)

But I don't know how to go about the final and initial displacement. I am confused

Find the displacement in the east/west direction... then the north/south direction...

I'd write each displacement as a vector (taking i horizontally, j vertically, postive east and north):

ie: the first part (20*3*60)

[tex]\vec{r} = -3600\vec{j}[/tex]

Does that make sense... same way write all 3 displacements. Then add them.

ok, its starting to kick in. now for b): wouldn't average velocity be=my value for deltavectorr/delta t??

innightmare said:
ok, its starting to kick in. now for b): wouldn't average velocity be=my value for deltavectorr/delta t??

yes, that would be for average velocity... average speed will be different.

OK-so if my displacement are in terms of vectors, then how in the world is b) computed. B/c the average velocity is deltaR/delta t...but my delta-displacement is going to be in vectors. how in the world am i supposed to divide vectors.

also average speed is total distance/delta t.

innightmare said:
OK-so if my displacement are in terms of vectors, then how in the world is b) computed. B/c the average velocity is deltaR/delta t...but my delta-displacement is going to be in vectors. how in the world am i supposed to divide vectors.

also average speed is total distance/delta t.

You need to find the total distance travelled. then divide by time.

for the total distance do i add the total values given? and what about average velocity?

innightmare said:
for the total distance do i add the total values given? and what about average velocity?

find the distance traveled in each segment and add them up. distance is not displacement. With distance, you're ignoring direction.

Average velocity is the total displacement/time.

Did you calculate the displacement vectors for each section. Add up those vectors and you get the total displacement.

For total distance, you're just adding up numbers, not vectors.

for the average velocity, isn't my displacement in vectors, and if so then how is it divided by time? i did calculate the displacement for each section

innightmare said:
for the average velocity, isn't my displacement in vectors, and if so then how is it divided by time? i did calculate the displacement for each section

Add up all the displacements of each section... that gives total displacement as a vector... divide that by the total time... we can divide vectors by scalars... time is just a scalar.

OK-Ive added my vectors, but it still hasnt given me the same answers in the book. In the book:a)4.87km at 209 degree from east
b) 23.3 ms
c)13.5m/s at 209
I converted the given values into meters. for instance:{3.0min*60s/min}which then i computed 20.0m/s*180s=-3600
This was what I've done for each one.
then (0,-vt)=(0,-3600)
(v2t2,-vt)= (3000, -3600)
(v3t3)=(-2545.6,3600)

This is the part where i get lost. for vector i=2745.4, j=-3600
If the question asks for total vector displacement, why is the answer 4.87 at an 209 angle

For b) my time would be 6min, but for my total length, would i total my values i converted into meters?

AGAIN-thank you sooooo much for your patience

innightmare said:
OK-Ive added my vectors, but it still hasnt given me the same answers in the book. In the book:a)4.87km at 209 degree from east
b) 23.3 ms
c)13.5m/s at 209
I converted the given values into meters. for instance:{3.0min*60s/min}which then i computed 20.0m/s*180s=-3600
This was what I've done for each one.
then (0,-vt)=(0,-3600)
(v2t2,-vt)= (3000, -3600)
(v3t3)=(-2545.6,3600)

I don't understand your numbers... Are you getting the displacement over each section? For example... 25.0m/s west for 2.0min is a displacement of (-3000,0). How do you get (3000,-3600) ?

those are my x and y components. I am over-complicated this, arent i

Related to Dimensional Motion Homework: Find Displacement, Speed, Velocity

1. What is displacement in relation to dimensional motion?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. It can also be calculated by finding the area under the velocity-time graph.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion. Therefore, velocity takes into account the direction of the object's movement, while speed does not.

4. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving without considering the direction.

5. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction.