Discover the Use of LaTex for Bridge and Chess Online Discussions

In summary, it appears that while there are some resources available for using LaTex to display bridge and chess diagrams in blogs, the implementation on forums such as physicsforums may require changes to the forum software. It is suggested to check with Mathjax, the software used by the forum, to see what is supported.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I'm curious whether LaTex is commonly used to display online discussions of bridge and chess? (Yes, if I investigated online Bridge or chess forums, I'd find the answer. However I hope someone who knows will save me the trouble.)

Just a casual search for "LaTex for bridge deals" shows that people have created "packages" in LaTex to do diagrams in their blogs.

With respect to the situation on physicsforums, my impression is that the implementation of LaTex is done in a manner that dispenses with the need for people to write all the stuff needed to define a proper LaTex document. So the implementation of bridge or chess diagrams would require changes in the forum software. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes topsquark

Related to Discover the Use of LaTex for Bridge and Chess Online Discussions

What is LaTeX and why is it useful for bridge and chess discussions?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is widely used for producing scientific and mathematical documents due to its powerful handling of formulas and bibliographies. For bridge and chess discussions, LaTeX allows users to clearly and accurately present complex game notations, diagrams, and mathematical analyses, which enhances the clarity and professionalism of the content.

How can I use LaTeX to display chess boards and moves?

To display chess boards and moves in LaTeX, you can use packages like `chessboard` and `chessfss`. These packages provide commands for creating chess board diagrams and notating moves. For example, the `\chessboard` command can be used to create a visual representation of a chess board, and `\newchessgame` followed by move commands can be used to notate and display a sequence of moves.

Can LaTeX be used to illustrate bridge hands and bidding sequences?

Yes, LaTeX can be used to illustrate bridge hands and bidding sequences using packages like `bridge`. This package allows for the creation of hand diagrams and the notation of bidding sequences. Commands like `\hand` can be used to display the cards held by each player, and `\auction` can be used to represent the bidding process in a structured format.

What are the benefits of using LaTeX over other text editors for these discussions?

LaTeX offers several benefits over other text editors for bridge and chess discussions. It provides superior handling of complex notations and diagrams, ensures consistent formatting, and produces high-quality, professional-looking documents. Additionally, LaTeX documents are highly customizable and can be easily shared and collaborated on, making it a preferred choice for many enthusiasts and professionals in these fields.

Are there any online platforms that support LaTeX for bridge and chess discussions?

Yes, there are several online platforms that support LaTeX for bridge and chess discussions. Websites like Overleaf allow users to create and share LaTeX documents collaboratively in real-time. Additionally, some chess and bridge forums and websites have built-in support for LaTeX, enabling users to include LaTeX-formatted content directly in their posts and discussions.