Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #1,681
whoa, moonbear was with you? cool

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,682
ZapperZ said:
Did you read this link when it was posted? Did you?
If you did, you were one of the few lucky ones. Apparently, this news wasn't supposed to be announced to the public. The website now has removed all reference to the Disney Monorail refurbishment project.
I wonder what's with the secrecy...
Zz.
I read it as soon as I saw it, and it was already too late. I was wondering why you just posted a link to the company website when it didn't say anything about Disney. Now I know.

• #1,683
The_Professional said:
whoa, moonbear was with you? cool
Hee...how did you miss that? I was only talking about it for about a month before the trip, and posting daily reports during the trip, and am still talking about it to anyone still willing to listen. :biggrin:

• #1,684
Moonbear said:
Hee...how did you miss that? I was only talking about it for about a month before the trip, and posting daily reports during the trip, and am still talking about it to anyone still willing to listen. :biggrin:

it's my first time reading some replies on this thread. did you guys meet at disney, i also don't understand why your face was blurred it's not like we haven't seen you.

• #1,685
Moonbear said:
I read it as soon as I saw it, and it was already too late. I was wondering why you just posted a link to the company website when it didn't say anything about Disney. Now I know.

Luckily, I kept a copy of the page. I can't reproduce the picture they had of their new Monorail design, but here's what it said:

Disneyland Monorail

January 2006- Burke Design provided composite engineering services during the design phase of an updated monorail for the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, CA. Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) contracted TPI Composites of Warren, RI to engineer and manufacture the monorail's new composite nose and tail sections. In our consulting role to TPI, and working closely with WDI, we provided the composite laminates for Finite Element Analysis (FEA), prepared the manufacturing plan, construction drawings and part weight estimates, and participated in the material testing program. Construction of the tooling is now underway, with the fabrication and assembly of the nose and tail sections scheduled to be complete in the third quarter of 2006.

Zz.

• #1,686
Oh dear, it's official.

Disney will make an offer to buy Pixar!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1534421
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8FB0TG8G.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

Apprehension galore!

The one certain plus that Disney will gain out of this is getting back John Lassiter, who was at Disney animation before heading the same unit at Pixar and directing all of the big hits.

If Steve Jobs gets on the Disney board of directors, I'd pay money to see how he deals with the "old school" way of doing business. Let's see how many people he can alienate and bump off the board within a year! :)

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,687
Oh, now this is getting to be VERY interesting!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-eisner012306,0,4351974.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Disney just named their corporate headquarters building in Burbank, California as the Michael Eisner building!

Now what if Steve Jobs came on board? He could be the single largest shareholder and would, I'm sure, be on the board of directors. And he and Michael Eisner didn't get along at all! Would he want to be in a building named after someone he didn't like?

Oh, this is the stuff that movies are made about! :)

Zz.

• #1,688
Tomorrow, Jan 24th, is the 45th Anniversary of the release of Walt Disney's 101 Dalmations animation movie (not the one with Glenn Close). So of course, there's a pin being released to mark this occasion (I didnt know 45 is such a special number to celebrate).

Zz.

This pin is being released tomorrow at WDW.
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10933886.jpg

This pin was released on the 20th at Disneyland.
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10211203.jpg

• #1,689
It's Official! Disney Buys Pixar

Here's the press release from Disney:

Long-time Creative Partners Form New Worldwide Leader in Quality Family Entertainment BURBANK, Calif. & EMERYVILLE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 24, 2006--The Walt Disney Company:

* Ed Catmull Named President of the Combined Pixar and Disney Animation Studios and John Lasseter Named Chief Creative Officer; Steve Jobs to Join Disney's Board of Directors
* Disney Increases Stock Repurchase Authorization

Furthering its strategy of delivering outstanding creative content, Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, announced today that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar in an all-stock transaction, expected to be completed by this summer. Under terms of the agreement, 2.3 Disney shares will be issued for each Pixar share. Based on Pixar's fully diluted shares outstanding, the transaction value is $7.4 billion ($6.3 billion net of Pixar's cash of just over $1 billion)(a).

This acquisition combines Pixar's preeminent creative and technological resources with Disney's unparalleled portfolio of world-class family entertainment, characters, theme parks and other franchises, resulting in vast potential for new landmark creative output and technological innovation that can fuel future growth across Disney's businesses. Garnering an impressive 20 Academy Awards, Pixar's creative team and global box office success have made it a leader in quality family entertainment through incomparable storytelling abilities, creative vision and innovative technical artistry.

"With this transaction, we welcome and embrace Pixar's unique culture, which for two decades, has fostered some of the most innovative and successful films in history. The talented Pixar team has delivered outstanding animation coupled with compelling stories and enduring characters that have captivated audiences of all ages worldwide and redefined the genre by setting a new standard of excellence," Iger said. "The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses. This investment significantly advances our strategic priorities, which include -- first and foremost -- delivering high-quality, compelling creative content to consumers, the application of new technology and global expansion to drive long-term shareholder value."

Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger. Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney's Board of Directors as a non-independent member. With the addition of Jobs, 11 of Disney's 14 directors will be independent. Both Disney and Pixar animation units will retain their current operations and locations.

"Disney and Pixar can now collaborate without the barriers that come from two different companies with two different sets of shareholders," said Jobs. "Now, everyone can focus on what is most important, creating innovative stories, characters and films that delight millions of people around the world."

"Pixar's culture of collaboration and innovation has its roots in Disney Animation. Our story and production processes are derivatives of the Walt Disney `school' of animated filmmaking," said Dr. Catmull. "Just like the Disney classics, Pixar's films are made for family audiences the world over and, most importantly, for the child in everyone. We can think of nothing better for us than to continue to make great movies with Disney."

The acquisition brings to Disney the talented creative teams behind the tremendously popular original Pixar blockbusters, who will now be involved in the nurturing and future development of these properties, including potential feature animation sequels. Pixar's 20-year unrivaled creative track record includes the hits Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Disney will also have increased ability to fully capitalize on Pixar-created characters and franchises on high-growth digital platforms such as video games, broadband and wireless, as well as traditional media outlets, including theme parks, consumer products and live stage plays.

"For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers and filmmakers," said Lasseter. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators -- great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."

"The wonderfully productive 15-year partnership that exists between Disney and Pixar provides a strong foundation that embodies our collective spirit of creativity and imagination," said Cook. "Under this new, strengthened animation unit, we expect to continue to grow and flourish."

Disney first entered into a feature film agreement with Pixar in 1991, resulting in the release of Toy Story, which was hailed as an instant classic upon its release in November 1995. In 1997, Disney extended its relationship with Pixar by entering into a co-production agreement, under which Pixar agreed to produce on an exclusive basis five original computer-animated feature films for distribution by Disney. Pixar is currently in production on the final film under that agreement, Cars, to be distributed by Disney on June 9.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Pixar have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antritrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Pixar's shareholders. Jobs, who owns approximately 50.6% of the outstanding Pixar shares, has agreed to vote a number of shares equal to 40% of the outstanding shares in favor of the transaction.

The Disney Board was advised by Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Bear, Stearns & Co. The Pixar Board was advised by Credit Suisse.

Separately, the Disney Board approved the repurchase of approximately 225 million additional shares, bringing the Company's total available authorization to 400 million shares. Since August 2004 through the end of December 2005, Disney has invested nearly $4 billion to purchase nearly 155 million shares. Disney anticipates further significant share repurchases going forward, reflecting Disney's continued commitment to returning value to shareholders over time.

The best news in this whole bunch? As expected, John Lasseter will be in charge of the animation dept. and reports directly to Iger.

Zz.

• #1,690
Disney can not buy Pixar. The movie I'm writing is made for Pixar. I don't think disney would take it.

• #1,691
ZapperZ said:
Oh, now this is getting to be VERY interesting!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-eisner012306,0,4351974.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Disney just named their corporate headquarters building in Burbank, California as the Michael Eisner building!

Now what if Steve Jobs came on board? He could be the single largest shareholder and would, I'm sure, be on the board of directors. And he and Michael Eisner didn't get along at all! Would he want to be in a building named after someone he didn't like?

Oh, this is the stuff that movies are made about! :)

Zz.

Oh, there you go! We have pictures!

http://www.laughingplace.com/showpic.asp?filename=http://laughingplace.com/files/live/big/0001538-56237.jpg&caption=New+name+for+Team+Disney

And Steve Jobs will be walking in here too now that he's on the Disney board. Wonder if one of the first things he does will be to change that!

:)

Zz.

• #1,692
Has anyone mentioned the new IMAX Disney movie about the Mars rovers? It sounds like it should be awesome!

• #1,693
Ivan Seeking said:
Has anyone mentioned the new IMAX Disney movie about the Mars rovers? It sounds like it should be awesome!

I've heard ramblings about that, but frankly, with the other things going on, I haven't been paying attention to that one. Is there really an IMAX movie on that out? Or about to be released?

Zz.

• #1,694
With the highly-anticipated Expedition Everest taking the attention of Disney theme park fans, and the Disney-Pixar deal taking up the attention of many Disney fanatics, this event seems to have gotten very little attention. The Monster's Inc attraction at Disney's California Adventure opened yesterday.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20060122/NYSU01822012006-1.html

Zz.

• #1,696
Things are just moving so fast!

As a sign of the influence of the Disney-Pixar deal, the Disney Blog is already reporting that a number of Disney classic animation are now available for download from iTunes...

...ten classic Disney Academy Award winning or nominated shorts can be downloaded from Apple's iTunes Music Store starting today for $1.99. Now online: Building a Building (1933), The Three Little Pigs (1933), The Old Mill (1937), Brave Little Tailor (1938), Ferdinand the Bull (1938), Good Scouts (1938), The Tortoise and the Hare (1935), The Ugly Duckling (1939), The Pointer (1939), and How To Play Football (1944).

Zz.

• #1,697
Bob Iger's e-mail to Disney employees and cast members on the acquisition of Pixar:

Dear Fellow Cast Members and Employees:

As the heart and soul of Disney, animation has historically been and will continue to be an important driver of quality content creation for our company. To build on our legacy, I am very pleased to announce that this afternoon Disney agreed to acquire Pixar Animation Studios. For nearly 15 years, Pixar has enjoyed a remarkable run of creative and commercial success, and today we combine their tremendous storytelling abilities, creative vision and innovative technical artistry with our own talented in-house team and amazing creative resources. This now gives us infinite potential for creating new landmark content that can fuel future growth across our entire company and further secure Disney's already leading role as the world's undisputed, preeminent name in quality family entertainment.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Bob

.. and Roy Disney's press release on the deal:

Animation has always been the heart and soul of the Walt Disney Company and it is wonderful to see Bob Iger and the company embrace that heritage by bringing the outstanding animation talent of the Pixar team back into the fold. This clearly solidifies the Walt Disney Company's position as the dominant leader in motion picture animation and we applaud and support Bob Iger's vision.

We are now just one big happy familly, aren't we? That is, till Steve really moves in.

Zz.

Last edited:
  • #1,698
Feb. 8th marks the 5th Anniversary of Disney's California Adventure theme park (the least popular Disney theme park in the US). To mark this occassion, a series of rather amazing pins will be released at the Disneyland resort.

I suppose I finally have to pull my connections over there and get me the whole set.

Zz.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=14283

• #1,699
As can be expected, the blogs and various fan forums are just clogged with commentaries about the Disney+Pixar thing. However, the BEST single commentary on this thing, in my opinion, is by Rhett Wickham at LaughingPlace. It is some of the most insighful comments found anywhere, the highlight of which is this:

What little flashes we’ve seen of that vision include the wisdom and the humility to recognize the value in Pixar Animation’s culture, and their management structure. It isn’t as progressive or “new” as some people think. In fact, it’s not too far afield from a model Disney had in place a long, long time ago. The biggest “hallelujah” of this move is that this model clearly rejects the too often championed Anderson School and Harvard MBA approach that has strangled creative ingenuity in Hollywood for decades.

YES!

The full commentary can be found here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID510020.asp

Zz.

• #1,700
Dancing in the middle of Main Street, USA...

Zz.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9558/img05087eo.jpg

• #1,701
I can already hear the screams...

Tomorrow, Jan 26th, is the first day of the 4-day Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club members preview of Expedition Everest. I won't be flying in till late on the 27th, and will be doing Expedition Everest on the 28th. A number of members from a Disney forum website, WDWMagic, will be meeting at a designated location at Noon on the 28th. I'll probably ride it again with them.

2 more days!

Zz.

• #1,703
I just don't understand your fascination with Disney... :frown:

• #1,704
ZapperZ said:
I can already hear the screams...

Tomorrow, Jan 26th, is the first day of the 4-day Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club members preview of Expedition Everest. I won't be flying in till late on the 27th, and will be doing Expedition Everest on the 28th. A number of members from a Disney forum website, WDWMagic, will be meeting at a designated location at Noon on the 28th. I'll probably ride it again with them.

2 more days!

Zz.

A reporter from the Orlando Sentinel describes the Expedition Everest attraction. Luckily, he didn't reveal too much about the ride itself and its surprises.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-action2506jan25,0,741878.story

Zz.

• #1,706
It does not take long for the first fallout out of the Disney-Pixar deal to occur.

Work on Toy Story III, which has been done by Disney's in-house Circle 7 animation unit, has been stopped. According to report, John Lasseter has directed that all sequels of movies that came out of Pixar will continue to be done by the Pixar team, and not by anyone else.

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00004468.html

This isn't too bad, but it certainly is a sign of more things to come.

Zz.

• #1,707
ZapperZ said:
With 4 more days left till I go on my "Expedition Everest" trek, Disney has released pictures of the pins that will be sold at the attraction. These pins will be released on the 26th, the first day of DVC members and Annual Passholders preview of Expedition Everest.

The only question is that since DVC members and AP holders were promised commemorative lanyards AND pins for attending the preview, whether these are the same pins that are being given out.

Zz.

Pin 1 - for DVC members:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904442.jpg

Pin 2 - for Annual Passholders:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904441.jpg

Holy cow and freaking awesome!

My question has just been answered. The above two pins are the ones being sold at the attraction itself. But the commerative pin that is being given to DVC member and Passholders who did the Expedition Everest preview is different!

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/190126062.jpg

Oh please, please, please... let there still be more of them by the time we get there on Sat!

Zz.

• #1,708
on this day in 1954 ground breaking begins for Disneyland. and you aren't even celebrating. and you call yourself a fan.

• #1,710
The name of John Lasseter was mentioned several times as one of THE most important asset that Disney is getting back with their acquisition Pixar. Bussiness Week has a very good article on him and why he could be the new Walt Disney.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060126_466477.htm

Zz.

• #1,711
A pin is being released today that also contains a Disney trivia:

This Limited Edition pin celebrates the animated short, "Plane Crazy." While "Steamboat Willie" was the first Mickey Mouse cartoon released with synchronized sound, it was not the first one made. "Plane Crazy" was first, but was the third one released after sound was added in 1928. This pin is hinged and features a pin-on-pin vintage Mickey Mouse on the cover. When opened, an image of Mickey and Minnie flying in an airplane and kissing. A photo of Walt Disney is also seen.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904642.jpg

Zz.

• #1,712
Oh no!

A hotel/condo resort is going up near Disney's Animal Kingdom lodge. And get this, it is on a property NOT owned by Disney, so it has nothing to do with Disney.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2006/01/23/daily31.html

My only concern is, will it be visible from either the Animal Kingdom, or the Animal Kingdom Lodge? The whole atmosphere of those two hinges on the impression that one is really in a secluded area way out in the wilderness. Both Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge is well-hidden among the trees and folliage in such a way that one really can't see how large it is, and all the buildings are no obvious. The illusion of being in a wildlife area is done very well.

But if there's a condo building near by, it will stick out like a sore thumb!

:(

Zz.

• #1,713
This will probably be my last post before leaving for the weekend Expedition Everest trip. The next transmission, hopefully, will be from the Happiest Place On Earth.

I'm off to see the Yeti!

http://www.disneyeverest.com/

Zz.

• #1,714
Greetings from the Happiest Place on Earth!

We got in late last night, drag our bodies to our "Home" at Saratoga Springs Resort, and crashed. So now we're up early about ready to go hunt for breakfast, and then make our way to the Animal Kingdom. We want to be there when it opens and dash to Expedition Everest right away.

I'm meeting a couple of my cast members friends, and a couple of other people that I've never met before from another Disney fan website. The last two are neither passholders or DVC members, so we're "adopting" them this morning to go on the ride with us (each DVC members can bring 3 other guests, so the two of us here can bring 6 people!). There are also other people from the fan website meeting at a designated location at Noon, so I'll probably ride Everest again with them.

See, why can't we do the same thing on PF?!

Anyway, since we're here only for a short time (leaving tomorrow evening), it will be a very full and busy day. Will report again as soon as I have the chance.

Zz.

• #1,715
Have fun! I hope it's everything you're expecting and more!

*wanders off grumbling that they had to wait until the end of the month to open it...so close, so close*