Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #2,661
Cybersteve said:
We used to have trees like that!
Unfortunately last year my wife decided we needed a black tree (for which I blame you Americans)

I hated it but she's determined to have it up again this year.
I have almost persuaded her to have two trees but that means more work for me and more lights to go wrong.:frown:

Hey, you should get a pre-lit tree. The Disney tree is one. Only the other tree is the one I have to put up lights on, and this year, we're using all LED lights.

It saves a lot of work.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,662
After Christmas everyone i know around gets together and we all burn our christmas trees at once. Its insane especially when its in the summer becasue they are dry and the needles make a huge flame. its great fun.

• #2,663
The house that Walt Disney was born in is http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southsouthwest/chi-0612080280dec08,1,3744781.story?coll=chi-newslocalssouthwest-hed" - on eBay, of course! Starting bid is $280,000. This house is in the northwest side of Chicago and supposedly is still the original design that was built for Elias Disney.

Other than Disney fanatics, there are very few people, if any, in that neighborhood who know about the historical significance of that house. Maybe this publicity might change that.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,664
I wonder how much that house will sell for. I think it will easily get a million becasue I know a lot of Disney fanatics. And hey, if you have overwhelming wealth, why not?!

• #2,665
This past week, Disney released 1 super jumbo pin and a regular jumbo pin that are just out of this world. They are more like plaque rather than pins. Still, they're simply glorious.

The first one is exactly the type that I would collect. It depicts the images from the 4 WDW theme parks. There is a lot of things going on with this pin, which is why it measures approximately 8" x 5.5", and retails for $95! Yowzah!

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10905436.jpg

The jumbo pin that was released has a theme that many people collects - the Haunted Mansion. What is even as impressive with this pin is the packaging! They put such a huge amount of design into the packaging that it is worth getting this pin for the packaging alone.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10905418.jpg

Some time I'm rather glad that I'm not within driving distance of WDW, because I would go bankrupt so quickly.

Zz.

• #2,666
This survival guide for spending the holidays during the peak times at Walt Disney World came from allearsnet.net. It actually contains everything that I would advice anyone visiting WDW around this time of the year.

A fascinating tip given is towards the end:

For free holiday fun (the best kind), spend an afternoon visiting the resorts. Buy a cookie from the giant gingerbread house store at the Grand Floridian, gawk at the life-size carousel made from sugar and dark chocolate at the Beach Club resort, or visit the humongous Christmas tree in the Wilderness Lodge.

Moonbie and I can both testify to that amazing chocolate carousel. Here's a picture:

img16305su.jpg

We tried visiting the Gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian, but missed it by a couple of days.

Zz.

• #2,667
That is pretty amazing i must say. As soon as i saw that i thought "no way" and had to go back and read your post just to prove to myself that it was chocolate.

• #2,668
Stevedye56 said:
That is pretty amazing i must say. As soon as i saw that i thought "no way" and had to go back and read your post just to prove to myself that it was chocolate.

Trust me, it is all chocolate. If you don't believe me, read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=74945&page=102

I wouldn't put Moonbie and Evo there the Beach Club during the Holidays. They might get into an awful mess because I just know that they won't be able to keep their hands off the carousel.

Zz.

Last edited:
  • #2,669
Hey, that picture was taken after I arrived at the Beach Club, and you'll notice there were no bite marks! (I think there were always cast members around guarding it. :rolleyes:)

• #2,670
Moonbear said:
Hey, that picture was taken after I arrived at the Beach Club, and you'll notice there were no bite marks! (I think there were always cast members around guarding it. :rolleyes:)

But I noticed teeth marks on the cast member!

<ZapperZ runs and hides>

:-p

Zz.

• #2,671
This is a "http://www.mickeynews.com/Columns/DisplayColumn.asp_Q_id_E_761" " for the Liberty Tree Tavern at The Magic Kingdom. I read it with very fond memories. We have eaten there many times, including having my birthday dinner there this past January. It certainly is one of the best and most entertaining places to eat. Even adults without children will find that there is something very enjoyable having the characters around. They will pay as much attention to you as they would any table that has kids.

Zz.

• #2,672
I believe you its all chocolate. Its just hard to believe because not only is it huge but it looks almost perfect. I can't see any seams in the chocolate horses. What if the a/c broke in the building...Everyone would need to grab strawberries!

• #2,673
Stevedye56 said:
What if the a/c broke in the building...Everyone would need to grab strawberries!

You should have pointed that out last year when I still had a chance of sabotaging the A/C! :biggrin:

Sings gleefully:
I just got a Christmas present! I just got a Christmas present! I just got a Christmas present! :biggrin: I contemplated putting it under the tree and waiting until Christmas to open it...for about 6 seconds. :biggrin: How cool! It's a jumbo pin set...Chip n' Dale!

Thanks Zz! (And Ember thanks you for the packing peanuts. :rolleyes: :smile:)

• #2,674
You're welcome. And if I had known, I would have packed it with more peanuts for Ember.

:)

Zz.

• #2,675
Oh, there are plenty enough! She has managed to knock the entire box over on the floor and there are packing peanuts everywhere! Every time I look over though, she freezes, like she's trying to pretend she hasn't done anything wrong, she just found them there just like that. :rolleyes: :smile:

• #2,676
This is a rather interesting development.

I have uploaded, so far, 31 Disney videos to Google video. Most of them have gotten very good "reviews", especially my videos of Illuminations and Wishes, both of which have very high number of viewing and downloads. However, I've never had anyone contacted me personally until I uploaded one of the most recent one - the http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5008148320876934763" video.

Someone was obviously impressed by it and e-mailed me. He asked if I was a "professional video editor" and wondered if I would be willing to do video editing of his vacation videos. He cited the Monorail video as the kind of video he would like. :)

I haven't replied yet (I only read the e-mail this morning). I will have to obviously turn him down since I am not a "professional" video editor, just a lousy amateur. Still, it was a very nice compliment when someone would be willing to pay you to do something that you consider only as a hobby.

Humm... maybe this is a good excuse for me to upgrade my video editing software, and maybe buy a HD camcorder, y'know, just in case my career as a physicist doesn't work out. Oooh... this is going to be an expensive holiday!

:biggrin:

Zz.

• #2,677
Er... a Little Mermaid doll suddenly saying "You're a slut!"?

Thanks to John Frost at The Disney Blog for pointing this out. A mother reported that an Ariel doll http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2714761&page=1" if you hit her button just ... wrong. It seems that if you hit her talking button too quickly to skip over her various phrases, she'll eventually will tell you "You're a slut!"

If this is true, I WANT THIS DOLL! I have a few people that I would like to send this to! :devil: :biggrin:

Zz.

• #2,678
Haha that doll reminds me of an Adam Sandler of the Demonic Furby that said things like "I will kill you" etc. Has there been any development on Disney closing Disney Quest?

• #2,679
Stevedye56 said:
Has there been any development on Disney closing Disney Quest?

Nope. No news on that one yet. I have a feeling they might wait until after they have fully renovated Pleasure Island. Or else, there might just be too much disruption in the Downtown Disney area.

Zz.

• #2,680
Zz, do you know how early March is for visiting Disney? Crowded with kids on spring break, or is it a quiet time? I'm looking at my quickly filling schedule, and see an opening the first week in March (pending scheduling of one more course...I'm waiting to find out if they need me more to help teach gross anatomy or histology and/or what sections of it so I can participate in the relevant sections this year so I can teach next year). I think the week I have free should stay free, because as far as I know, it's an exam block for the med students, so all the courses should have that week off, but I never am 100% sure on how they schedule the med courses here (they don't even take the same spring break as the rest of the university, which makes it even more difficult for people involved in both graduate and medical teaching to get a week off anywhere).

I had wanted to take a vacation in January, but I've already managed to block off my schedule pretty solidly through the middle of the month, and there's still one more experiment that needs to be crammed in before the month ends. Besides, January and February I know can get pretty cold (for FL anyway), so March might be better (I have to double check that the weather usually warms again by then).

• #2,681
Very early March (and we're talking the first week here) should be OK. I don't think the height of spring break starts till middle of March.

However, Disney considers ALL of the month of March as one of their busier season. I based this on the points chart for DVC resorts. The month of March carries the 2nd highest points per night, 2nd only to late April and the Christmas-New Year period. So based on this, one expects that the parks to be rather busy.

You also might end up paying a bit more for accomodations since they probably will not be having too many specials during that month.

Zz.

• #2,682
ZapperZ said:
Very early March (and we're talking the first week here) should be OK. I don't think the height of spring break starts till middle of March.
Yeah, it should be the first week of March at this point.

However, Disney considers ALL of the month of March as one of their busier season. I based this on the points chart for DVC resorts. The month of March carries the 2nd highest points per night, 2nd only to late April and the Christmas-New Year period. So based on this, one expects that the parks to be rather busy.

You also might end up paying a bit more for accomodations since they probably will not be having too many specials during that month.

Zz.
Hmm...I wasn't expecting it to be part of the peak season yet. Then again, since I'd be going alone this time, I could visit my parents for part of the week and then just stay at Disney the other half to recover from visiting my parents before returning home, so could pay more for the accomodations and just spend less days at the resorts. I'll have to look into the prices and see if it's even feasible during that time. If not, maybe I'll just vacation somewhere else this year.

• #2,683
Bleh, that IS peak season. :frown: The "regular" season resumes April 15. I can't wait that long for a vacation, so I think I'll vacation somewhere other than Disney this year.

• #2,684
Come to Chicago! You can still sort of do "disney" if you visit my place!

Zz.

• #2,685
ZapperZ said:
Come to Chicago! You can still sort of do "disney" if you visit my place!

Zz.

:rolleyes: I was kind of thinking warm and sunny, not cold and windy. :rolleyes: I have to find time in the summer to visit Chicago. My spring vacation is the "I need a break from the cold" vacation. :approve:

Now I'm thinking more along the lines of a weekend trip to Vegas or something of that sort, just to spend a few days away playing and relaxing and eating too much, but without breaking the bank, so maybe I can opt for a more prolonged vacation later in the year. The problem is that I have to anticipate moving again this year. The person I rent from is trying to sell the place, and I have no interest in outright buying it, so I need to anticipate moving expenses again this year. I'll have to see if any other units in the same development will be available for rent this summer...it wouldn't be too bad to just move a few units over.

• #2,686
This is rather unfortunate!

A man that looked like Santa Clause was visiting WDW yesterday. A group of kids suddenly thought it was Santa and started to gravitate around him. I suppose he played along with that, but that got him into trouble because he isn't one of the "approved" characters. This resulted him being http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_349110023.html" the park!

I guess Disney did not want the guests to think that this person was one of their characters and cannot control or monitor his behavior (heave forbid that this person might start molesting people). Still, its is unfortunate that due to how he looks, and through no fault of himself, he was unable to stay at the park.

Zz.

• #2,687
wow, I suspect the CEO of Disney will get a visit from 3 spirits some night soon:eek:

• #2,688
hypatia said:
wow, I suspect the CEO of Disney will get a visit from 3 spirits some night soon:eek:

And which spirits would that be? A vodka, a bourbon, and a whiskey?

:biggrin:

Zz.

• #2,690
Well that makes it sound a little better. I had the mental image of the Goofy hit squad, wisking him into one of the magic doors. One where you pop out and find yourself turned into Snow White.

• #2,691
Goofy Hit Squad! :smile: :smile: :smile:

• #2,692
Even MORE stuff on the "Santa" that got kicked out of WDW. CNN.com currently has a video of an interview with the "imposter". It seems that he DID tell the kids that he was Santa, and that's what the Disney folks asked him to do.

Zz.

• #2,693
I wonder if the kids then expected him to have a present for each of them. Thats what I would have done.

• #2,694
Here's another twist to the story of the "fake" Santa. This http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=45653" now indicates that the man was able to stay at the park after he agreed to not identify himself as Santa. It appears that he wasn't thrown out of the park after all!

One story, how many different versions now?

Zz.

• #2,695
Haha it seems to be just like that childish game of telephone, as it gets spread around it gets changed so people like it better!