Dispose of Compressed Air Can Safely on Hot Day

In summary, the can can be heated to boiling-hot water to get it back to its original potency, but be wary of it exploding.
Vorde
For starters, I have no idea where to post this question but I think this is a good place.

Earlier today I bought a compressed can of moisture-less duster to clean my computer fans with. That is all good, but when I was done I wasn't sure where to dispose of the can.

Normally it would be safe to throw in the garbage (its non-toxic in gaseous form) but it's a very hot day (like 90ish) and even though the can says it's safe to temperatures up to 120 I am uneasy about just leaving it in the garbage.

Can anyone advise me here?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be fine. Once empty the pressure inside is far less than it was when full.

That's what I was hoping, thank you.

Once you get no more puff out of the can then you can safely use a can opener or chisel to make a hole in the can. It is then harmless at any temperature.

Speaking of compressed air cans, if you use them for a few seconds they get very cold, and thus lose their effectiveness.

So once I got the bright idea of putting the can in boiling-hot water to heat it back up. After a few seconds though I got a bit uneasy about the whole deal, for the same reason as OP was about leaving it out on a hot day. Does anybody have any idea how hot these things could really get before catastrophically failing?

The vapour pressure of butane is about 2Bar at room temperature (i.e. 1Bar excess) and it's a bit over 15Bar at 100C. That would be significant, I think, if there was still much propellant in the can.

The gas in the can, once the propellant has gone, will only be following the gas laws. The pressure will only increase by around 1/300 for every degree C rise in temperature at room temperature.

Lsos said:
Does anybody have any idea how hot these things could really get before catastrophically failing?

I think we could assume the safety factor will be around 3. If there is no liquid phase in the container, then from the ideal gas law we get it should fail at 3x300 K = 900 K. Which is meaningless, because the material of the can will lose its strength much earlier than that. Aluminium alloys, the usual material here, lose 2/3 of their room temperature yield strength at about 600 K.

voko said:
I think we could assume the safety factor will be around 3. If there is no liquid phase in the container, then from the ideal gas law we get it should fail at 3x300 K = 900 K. Which is meaningless, because the material of the can will lose its strength much earlier than that. Aluminium alloys, the usual material here, lose 2/3 of their room temperature yield strength at about 600 K.

The plastic bits will go long before that temperature.

Related to Dispose of Compressed Air Can Safely on Hot Day

1. Can I dispose of a compressed air can on a hot day?

Yes, you can dispose of a compressed air can on a hot day. However, it is important to take proper safety precautions to avoid any potential hazards.

2. How do I safely dispose of a compressed air can on a hot day?

To safely dispose of a compressed air can on a hot day, make sure the can is completely empty before disposing of it. Then, place the can in a well-ventilated area away from any sources of heat or flame. Finally, you can dispose of it with your regular household trash.

3. What are the potential hazards of disposing of a compressed air can on a hot day?

Disposing of a compressed air can on a hot day can be hazardous because the heat can cause the can to explode or release its contents in a violent manner. This can result in injuries to yourself or others, as well as damage to property.

4. Is there a specific temperature that is considered to be a "hot day" for disposing of compressed air cans?

There is no specific temperature that is considered a "hot day" for disposing of compressed air cans. It is important to use caution when disposing of them in any high temperature conditions.

5. Can I recycle a compressed air can on a hot day?

No, it is not recommended to recycle a compressed air can on a hot day. The high temperatures can cause the can to explode or release its contents, which can be dangerous for those handling the recycling materials. It is best to dispose of the can safely and properly instead.

Back