angle of 90 degrees to the horizontal, with an initial
velocity of 50 m/s. Ignoring air resistance, what
will be the rider’s height at t = 1.5, t = 4 and t = 6
seconds?
Relevant Equations
unsure
dont know where to start. Other than it will take 5 seconds for v = 0m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations have been mentioned in class or your textbook so far? Look at them, think about what they mean, one or more of them will be relevant.

Nugatory said:
What equations have been mentioned in class or your textbook so far? Look at them, think about what they mean, one or more of them will be relevant.
I don’t have any to go off of. I’m reviewing physics (haven’t had it in 5 years) and am stuck on this type of problem, so additional help would be appreciated. Thanks

brslagle said:
Homework Statement: An amusement park ride launches a rider at an
angle of 90 degrees to the horizontal, with an initial
velocity of 50 m/s. Ignoring air resistance, what
will be the rider’s height at t = 1.5, t = 4 and t = 6
seconds?
Relevant Equations: unsure

dont know where to start. Other than it will take 5 seconds for v = 0m/s
It is a constant acceleration problem. Read https://www.ncl.ac.uk/webtemplate/a...mechanics/kinematics/equations-of-motion.html.

brslagle said:
I don’t have any to go off of. I’m reviewing physics (haven’t had it in 5 years) and am stuck on this type of problem, so additional help would be appreciated. Thanks
Alternatively, try the Khan Academy. It seems you need a course in physics, not just a bit of help:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

Likes brslagle
brslagle said:
Google for “SUVAT equations “. They relate speed, distance, and acceleration.

Likes brslagle
Nugatory said:
That's why I recommend Khan Academy. That's a reliable source for SUVAT.

Likes Nugatory
Nugatory said:
Thanks so much! That got me where I needed to be.

PeroK said:
Alternatively, try the Khan Academy. It seems you need a course in physics, not just a bit of help:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics
Thanks. The SUVAT problems were the only questions I was having issues on, so I dont think an entire course is necessary, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Sad
Likes PeroK

Related to Distance traveled when decreasing velocity

What is the formula to calculate the distance traveled when velocity decreases uniformly?

The formula to calculate the distance traveled when velocity decreases uniformly (constant deceleration) is given by: \( d = \frac{(v_i + v_f)}{2} \times t \), where \( v_i \) is the initial velocity, \( v_f \) is the final velocity, and \( t \) is the time taken.

How do you determine the deceleration if the distance and initial and final velocities are known?

You can determine the deceleration using the formula: \( a = \frac{(v_f^2 - v_i^2)}{2d} \), where \( v_i \) is the initial velocity, \( v_f \) is the final velocity, and \( d \) is the distance traveled.

What role does time play in calculating the distance traveled during deceleration?

Time is a crucial factor in calculating the distance traveled because it helps determine how long the deceleration occurs. The distance can be calculated using the formula: \( d = v_i \times t - \frac{1}{2} a \times t^2 \), where \( v_i \) is the initial velocity, \( a \) is the deceleration, and \( t \) is the time.

Can distance traveled be negative when velocity is decreasing?

No, distance traveled cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and always represents the magnitude of the path traveled, which is always a positive value, even if the velocity is decreasing.

How does initial velocity affect the distance traveled when decelerating to a stop?

The initial velocity directly affects the distance traveled when decelerating to a stop. A higher initial velocity means that the object will travel a greater distance before coming to a stop, given the same rate of deceleration. The relationship can be expressed as: \( d = \frac{v_i^2}{2a} \), where \( v_i \) is the initial velocity and \( a \) is the deceleration.

Back