Do Black Holes Emit Heat Due to Movement?

In summary, according to the law of thermodynamics, each transformation of energy results in a loss of heat. This includes the energy given off by the mass of a black hole. If there is no particle without mass, then there are no stationary particles in the universe.
Hippasos
I have been recently wondering about black holes and the laws of
thermodynamics.

So I would like to ask:
Can there be physical movement without thermal radiation in other words loss of
energy in thermal form?

Every particle in the universe that have mass will be in movement. I am
in belief that black holes/singularity is not stationary objects so if
they are in movement they should be radiating heat? If there is no
particle without mass then there are no stationary particles in the
universe?

Hawking radiation equals thermal radiation and radiated energy from the
black hole in this case? That would mean: E=mc2+Hawking radiation then?

I bet this have been discussed earlier so if you can point me a link to an answer i will look there...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
As one of the laws of thermodynamics states, each transformation of energy results in a loss of heat.

Therefor something with kinetic energy will only give off energy when that energy changes form, i.e collides with something.
Ofcourse this is not taking into account the energy already being given off by the mass itself.

So is it safe to say then that there are no collisions between the particles inside the black hole? 0 friction?

Can we say there is no collision without movement and backwards there are no movement without collision?

Last edited:
Hippasos said:
thermodynamics.

So I would like to ask:
energy in thermal form?

universe?

Where did you get the idea that "every particle in the universe that has mass will be in movement?

It appears to me that you may have some fundamental misconceptions about thermodynamics that need to be addressed judging from the above statement :-(.

The short version: While some sources such as http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/temper.html#c1 state

A convenient operational definition of temperature is that it is a measure of the average translational kinetic energy associated with the disordered microscopic motion of atoms and molecules

this is not the definition of "temperature" used to describe the "temperature" of black holes.

The defintion of "temperature" that is applicable to black holes, and that serves as the general defintion of the term is the equation relating the rate at which energy is converted into entropy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/seclaw.html#c4

[tex]\Delta S = \frac{\Delta Q}{T}[/tex]

Black hole entropy requires quantum mechanics and general relativity to understand, though a simple argument that suggests black holes have entropy is that if entropy always increases, when an object with entropy falls into a black hole that the entropy of the black hole must increase.

Pervect -

Thanks for a good answer.

In the thread 'Are black holes cold' none of the answers implied that temperature of a black hole was in any way different from the first definition of temperature above.

This answer clears up the correct but very incomplete information Janus gave in that thread, which made no distinction about temperature/entropy. My area is Population Biology, not GR.

Hippasos said:
thermodynamics.

So I would like to ask:
energy in thermal form?

universe?

Hawking radiation equals thermal radiation and radiated energy from the
black hole in this case? That would mean: E=mc2+Hawking radiation then?

I bet this have been discussed earlier so if you can point me a link to an answer i will look there...

Thanks!

i totally agree with u . but the radiations emmited by the black hole cannot escape its event horizon due to its high gravity.more or less there r rotating as well as non rotating black holes

Related to Do Black Holes Emit Heat Due to Movement?

What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to black holes?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It is a fundamental branch of physics that is used to understand the behavior of matter. In the context of black holes, thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand the properties of black holes and how they interact with their surroundings.

What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it apply to black holes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of black holes, this law applies because the gravitational potential energy of matter falling into the black hole is converted into thermal energy, causing the black hole to grow in mass.

How do black holes violate the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy, or disorder, always increases in a closed system. Black holes appear to violate this law because they have an extremely high amount of entropy, but they have a singularity at their center, which is a state of zero entropy. This contradiction is still an active area of research in physics.

Can black holes emit radiation and how is this related to thermodynamics?

Yes, black holes can emit radiation through a process known as Hawking radiation. This radiation is a result of quantum mechanical effects near the event horizon of the black hole. The existence of Hawking radiation is a crucial connection between black holes and thermodynamics, as it shows that black holes have a temperature and can exchange energy with their surroundings.

How do the laws of thermodynamics apply to the black hole information paradox?

The black hole information paradox is a puzzle in theoretical physics that arises when trying to reconcile the principles of thermodynamics with the laws of quantum mechanics in the context of black holes. One of the key challenges is understanding how information (such as the quantum state of matter) can be preserved when it falls into a black hole, as it appears to be lost due to the second law of thermodynamics. This paradox is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

Back