Do C++ Compilers Repeatedly Process the Same Header Files?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Chromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, most C++ compilers do tend to compile the same .h files over and over again, even if they are included in multiple .cpp files. However, some compilers, such as Microsoft's Visual compilers, have a feature called precompiled headers which can save on resources and compilation time. It is also possible to turn off this feature, depending on the compiler being used.
Chromium
Is it true that most, if not all, C++ compilers tend to compile the same .h files over and over again? Say there are two .cpp files that include the same .h file, and the compiler processes one of these .cpp files & all its included header files as well. Once it gets to the second .cpp file, it doesn't recognize that it has seen the one .h file before, and so it just processes that file again, right?

Technology news on Phys.org
Not necesarrilly. Visual compilers (Microsoft) prepare something they call precompiled header to save on resources/compilation time. I suppose other compilers are able to do the same.

Oh, I see. Although I guess it makes more sense to use precompiled headers, isn't it possible to turn that feature off (I guess it depends on the compiler)?

On/off, as you wish.

Related to Do C++ Compilers Repeatedly Process the Same Header Files?

1. What is a C++ compiler?

A C++ compiler is a program that translates human-readable C++ code into machine-readable instructions that can be understood and executed by a computer. It is an essential tool for developing software in the C++ programming language.

2. How does a C++ compiler work?

A C++ compiler works by first analyzing the code to check for syntax errors or other issues. Then, it translates the code into an intermediary form called object code. Finally, the object code is linked together with other necessary libraries to create an executable program.

3. Do I need a C++ compiler to run C++ programs?

Yes, you need a C++ compiler to convert your C++ code into a format that can be executed by a computer. However, some integrated development environments (IDEs) may come with a built-in compiler, making it easier for developers to run their programs without needing to install a separate compiler.

4. Are there different types of C++ compilers?

Yes, there are different types of C++ compilers, such as traditional compilers, just-in-time (JIT) compilers, and cross-compilers. Traditional compilers translate the entire code at once, while JIT compilers translate code on-the-fly during execution. Cross-compilers are used to compile code for a different platform or operating system than the one on which the compiler is running.

5. Is there a difference between free and paid C++ compilers?

Yes, there can be differences between free and paid C++ compilers. Paid compilers may offer additional features and support, while free compilers may have limited features and support. However, there are also many high-quality and reliable free C++ compilers available for use.