Do Force Diagrams Show Forces Exerted by the Object?

In summary: MENDED:In summary, a free-body diagram is a graphical representation of a body and all the forces (in vector form) acting on it. It shows the net force, which is the vector sum of all the forces, and can be used to calculate the body's mass x acceleration. Only the forces acting on the body are shown, but if the body is exerting a force on another body, Newton's third law states that there will be an equal and opposite force shown in the diagram.
catenn
Hi, I have had a slight confusion on the Force and Free-Body Diagrams. I know that they are represented by arrows for the vectors in the direction of the force and that forces exerted on the object are shown. Are the forces exerted by the object also shown for the Force and Free-Body Diagrams? Or is there also a difference from one showing and the other not? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
catenn said:
Hi, I have had a slight confusion on the Force and Free-Body Diagrams. I know that they are represented by arrows for the vectors in the direction of the force and that forces exerted on the object are shown. Are the forces exerted by the object also shown for the Force and Free-Body Diagrams? Or is there also a difference from one showing and the other not? Thanks!
A free-body diagram is a graphical picture that shows the body and all the forces (in vector form) that act on that body. The net force (vector sum of all those forces) gives you the mass x acceleration of the body.

You only show the forces acting on the body. If the body is exerting a force on another body, Newton's third law requires that other body to be exerting an equal and opposite force on it, so you would show that force in your diagram.

AM

Hi, it's great that you are seeking clarification on force and free-body diagrams. In both diagrams, the forces exerted on the object are shown as arrows in the direction of the force. However, in a force diagram, the forces exerted by the object are not shown. This is because a force diagram only represents the external forces acting on the object, while a free-body diagram shows all the forces acting on the object, including the forces exerted by the object itself. So, to answer your question, there is a difference between the two diagrams in terms of what forces are shown. I hope this helps to clear up any confusion.

FAQ: Do Force Diagrams Show Forces Exerted by the Object?

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It uses arrows to show the direction and magnitude of each force.

2. Why are force diagrams important?

Force diagrams help us understand the forces at play in a given situation and how they affect the motion of an object. They also allow us to predict the resulting motion of an object.

3. How do I draw a force diagram?

To draw a force diagram, start by identifying all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw arrows to represent each force, making sure to label them with the type of force and its direction. Finally, use the length of the arrows to show the relative strength of each force.

4. What are the types of forces shown in a force diagram?

The most common types of forces shown in a force diagram are applied forces, like pushing or pulling, and forces due to gravity, like weight. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

5. Can force diagrams be used for any type of motion?

Yes, force diagrams can be used for any type of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational. They are a useful tool for understanding the forces involved in a given motion and predicting its outcome.

Back