Do formulas prevent students from understanding concepts?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of formulas in physics and whether they hinder or enhance understanding and enjoyment of the subject. Some believe that understanding concepts should come before using formulas, while others argue that equations are necessary for a complete understanding of physics. It is agreed, however, that a balance between qualitative logic and mathematical equations is the most effective approach to teaching and learning physics.
Hi Chris. Education like that only teaches one to regurgitate what the educator expects to see. It then becomes a matter of sussing out what will be asked and how those questions are expected to be answered, rather than understanding the work. I myself have been marked down for attempting to answer questions in novel ways, or sometimes for simply answering the question.

The typically example is that the question "Do you know which mountain is the tallest in the world?" deserves the answer "Yes, I do".

Physics news on Phys.org
Healey.cj, verty:

You'll find that in lower-division college courses that more is required in problem solving than just regurgitating formulas. You will actually be expected to understand formulas, and select a set of formulas which are needed for a solution; and then manage the derivation of an appropriate formula to answer the question. If the students in your current classes are getting upset when you ask questions outloud in class, maybe you would want to enroll in college preparatory or "advanced placement" courses, in which the students will be more motivated to learn, and who will share your interest in understanding.

'symbolipoint'