Do I Perceive an Induced E Field in Free Fall Next to a Falling Line Charge?

In summary, if a person is in free fall towards Earth with an infinite line charge falling vertically towards Earth, they will not perceive the induced E field in their frame. This is because the line charge is static in relation to them and there is no change in the magnetic field. This is discussed in a recent paper on areas of electrodynamics that do not support special relativity.
cragar
Lets say I have an infinite line charge. And I am standing next to it and then we both go into free fall towards earth. The line charge is falling vertically towards earth. In my frame It feels like I am floating in free space. But to someone on the ground they see an increasing current so this changing B field should induce an E field. In my free fall do I perceive the induced E field that is in the direction of increasing current? And obviously there is a static E field from the line charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. In your frame,you don't percieve the induced emf if u and the line chare are both falling at same speed(i am assuming it a free fall. In this case the line charge is static w.r.t you and hence no change in magnetic field in your frame and u don't percieve the induced emf.

(Note:- some areas of electrodynamics doesn't support special relativity as shown recently in a paper.)

what is this paper called

FAQ: Do I Perceive an Induced E Field in Free Fall Next to a Falling Line Charge?

What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is a type of electric field that is created by a changing magnetic field. It is also known as an electromagnetic field, and it is responsible for inducing electric currents in conductors.

How is an induced electric field different from a static electric field?

A static electric field is created by stationary charges, while an induced electric field is created by a changing magnetic field. This means that a static electric field does not change over time, whereas an induced electric field can change in strength and direction.

What factors affect the strength of an induced electric field?

The strength of an induced electric field depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the distance from the source of the changing magnetic field, and the material properties of the conductor (such as conductivity and permeability).

How is an induced electric field used in practical applications?

An induced electric field is used in various applications, such as generators, motors, transformers, and wireless charging. It is also used in electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for many technologies, including power generation, wireless communication, and magnetic imaging.

What is the relationship between induced electric fields and Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. This means that the strength and direction of an induced electric field can be calculated using Faraday's law, which is a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetism.